0-30wt 0il

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Fenwick

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Aloha, in a previous post about the clatter on startup (2002 4.0), someone suggested 0wt oil. That didn't help at all. I am concerned that 0 wt is too light and should I drain it and go back to 5w 30? the 0 wt has been in for about 600 miles. Any thoughts?
Did I tell you that I had someone pull the pan and there was some plastic chain guide pieces in there?
God bless, Ed

i run 5-30 syn and in summer i go 5-40, in my opinion the temperature where your at should reflect the velocity you run. i have debated this for years but my engines last compared to my friends. if ya just drive to the store once in awhile it should not matter, most manufactures say recommended oil and it varys in trucks from 5-30 to 5-40, the clatter sounds like the guides and plastic is validation. it looks like you been doing things right with maintenance if its still running since you joining, 2008?

Ed,
If plastic schrapnel was found in your OilPan, changing oil weight will NOT fix your problem;
the existing TimingGuide damage needs repair ASAP before the Valves+Heads suffer damage.
My routine is to change Oil+Filter every 6mths: 0w30.FullSyn in Spring, 0w20.FullSyn in Fall.
I chose "0w" because at 9000 Feet, ambient here runs 10~20degF cooler than most places;
a minus 10~15F winter morning is not unusual; seen winter temps as low as minus 30F.
"0w" allows oil to flow as quickly as possible during ColdStarts,
specificly thru the TimingTensioners to those notorious plastic TimingGuides.
90% of my driving is local, 30mile trips or less, 45mph or less.
For Hawaii & most places, I'd run 0w30.FullSyn year round;
for Arizona\Florida\Texas, I'd run 5w40.FullSyn year round.

Well ok Dillard, thanks but the truck is not worth another $4k. even if I had it. All that I can do is pump up the oil pressure before it fires. I think that I will go back to 5w30 soon though, it never gets below 60F. I hope that you find the womp womp, let us know
Ed

0W - Winter.. Colder then 30-40 degrees all day. Its only done to get oil flowing, not pressure up.... Who ever told this does not know how oil works.

No problem in running the 0w30. It will almost be like a 5w30. Since you figured your problem out, having the 0w30 is the least of your problem. Run it till your OCI is up.

Aloha, in a previous post about the clatter on startup (2002 4.0), someone suggested 0wt oil. That didn't help at all. I am concerned that 0 wt is too light and should I drain it and go back to 5w 30? the 0 wt has been in for about 600 miles. Any thoughts?
Did I tell you that I had someone pull the pan and there was some plastic chain guide pieces in there?
God bless, Ed
I have 5 S/T 1 2 sports I have
God bless, Ed
The reply’s seem to be right on the money…..if the engine is growling it’s to late timing chains are on the way out..it’s a non interference engine so the engine heads and valves will not collide…BUT. The pieces might get stuck in the oil suction…wiping out motor…guy in Tampa fla rebuilds the motor and installs it for $1500. 2 wheel drive .I have bought all my 5 S/Ts 2 sports with bad motors or trannys he does excellent work….I use 0/40 Mobil on all trucks in fla cause it’s better start up lubricantion. That’s me..,no problems
Guy in aubendale fla does my tranny work. Charges $1500. Rebuilt 4 wheel drive you put it in..s/t1 had two trannys done years ago. Fla prices are cheap
Will post phone numbers for you both work out of there back yards.engine guy Only does s/t engines. … Tranny guy only does trucks Saved my ass ..on money…

I have 5 S/T 1 2 sports I have

The reply’s seem to be right on the money…..if the engine is growling it’s to late timing chains are on the way out..it’s a non interference engine so the engine heads and valves will not collide…BUT. The pieces might get stuck in the oil suction…wiping out motor…guy in Tampa fla rebuilds the motor and installs it for $1500. 2 wheel drive .I have bought all my 5 S/Ts 2 sports with bad motors or trannys he does excellent work….I use 0/40 Mobil on all trucks in fla cause it’s better start up lubricantion. That’s me..,no problems
Guy in aubendale fla does my tranny work. Charges $1500. Rebuilt 4 wheel drive you put it in..s/t1 had two trannys done years ago. Fla prices are cheap
Will post phone numbers for you both work out of there back yards.engine guy Only does s/t engines. … Tranny guy only does trucks Saved my ass ..on money…
1..863..224..3519. Dons tranny winter haven
Eddie 4.0 engin rebuild 352/340/6208

thanks Chris but Fla is too far to send the truck so thanks anyway for the phone #

Latest posts