01 Sport Trac Speedo / Cluster / Electrical Issue

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 74082

Reaction score
Hi all,

Have an 01 ST and the speedometer is acting up. It gets "stuck" at 50 MPH and won't go any higher. Then, when it drops, it hovers around 20. It flutters at times. The other gauges on the cluster seem to be working fine (the odometer and cruise control both work, etc). Due to this, I don't think it's the speed sensor as I think that will also cause both of those to fail.

Also, something is draining the battery and I'm wondering if a short somewhere or the speedo motor could cause this? I unplugged fuse #11 (#15, #25, and #33 are all listed as cluster related but I'm not sure of the difference) and I think the drain may have stopped (generally the truck won't start the next day after having had to jump start it the day prior). Maybe I just got lucky that it started today ;]

So what do you guys think? Should I just replace the instrument cluster? Is there something obvious I might be missing?

Any insight appreciated as I really need to make the repair myself.

There is no cable, its all electrical...... follow the proper drain test procedure and narrow it down properly. THEN maybe get a junk yard dash cluster and go from there.... I believe on the gen 1 you can swap it out without issue, IF not you have to have a shop program. But need to get one close to mileage so your not accused of odometer fraud.....
OR email circutboardmedics and ask them if the fix the 01....

Hey Todd - thanks so much for the reply. I did the test (multimeter set to 10A) and, with all fuses in place, the reading was .3. Removing either fuse #25 (Generic Electronic Module, Instrument Cluster, Securi-lock) or fuse #26 (Battery Saver Relay, Interior Lamp Relay) will cause that reading to drop to .015 or so. Does you know how many milliamps that is? Confused as to how to read the meter. Considering the speedometer issue, does this simply further point to the instrument cluster? Any further insight appreciated!

Best way is the test light test, Remove the neg cable and place it in the circuit, then check the fuses.... the meter will always read but the light will show a strong drain. its odd that the spedo is draining but it could be the cluster itself.

Latest posts