01 Won't Start - Crazy Dash Light and Click Show

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67Rally

Reaction score
I have owned my 2001 ST since 12/26/2000 and have driven every mile and my baby was going strong until Sunday. With 213K miles, things were going great until this began to happen when attempting to start. Turning the key to the on position, I can hear the fuel pump turn on as it normally does. I turn the key to start and this happens:

Dash during starting

This noise seems to emanate from the driver's side of the vehicle forward of the footwell:

Sound below

Where do I start my investigation as to the cause?

Check the voltage when attempting to start. 12.4 is good voltage, could be a surface charge, you need to load test the battery. Checking the voltage when trying to start see how far it drops.

Check the voltage when attempting to start. 12.4 is good voltage, could be a surface charge, you need to load test the battery. Checking the voltage when trying to start see how far it drops.

Thanks for your guidance. The volts were good but the CCAs were abysmal. The battery is toast...and...the lack of CCAs effectively killed the starter (it is functioning intermittently). Oh, and my rack and pinion has a split forming in a line. Guess I will have to be replacing that, too. $$$

Latest posts