'02 on it's 3rd Transmission... So long ST.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
:angry:

At a little over 36k miles my transmission went out. Luckily, Ford backed their product and supported this customer by making the repairs and extending my PT warrantee out to 100k. I was relieved to have that level of service. Even if I did have to pay the $500 deductible, it was worth it to me.

So, at a little over 110k, my tranny goes again. Back at the shop they tell me it is gone and will cost $3200. :blink: Two bad transmissions in a little over two years? I've heard of worse things in this forum, but dang...

I can't do it. I don't consider changing my transmission every 2-3 years an acceptable maintenance routine. I mean, am I wrong here? This is ridiculous. And the worse thing about it is that I have a family full of Chevy drivers! Imagine what I am going to be going through when the word gets out that I've had another bad transmission.

Oh, and beyond occasionally towing a bass boat, I don't drive her that hard.

I think it's time to admit that the 2002 Sport Trac was just not a good investment. Now I am trying to decide if this if a Ford Quality issue, or a specific issue with this transmission model. My local dealership is looking into my file and will call me tomorrow to make some sort of offer. If it sounds reasonable, I may just take it. Most likely I will find the cheapest way to repair/replace the tranny and trade her in on an F150 or perhaps a Toyota or something. <snif>

I'd like to heart some thoughts on this. What you'd do if it was you?

I'd probably take the opportunity to put a better engine/transmission combination in.

It's a problem with the transmission. As long as Ford has been using it, you'd think they would've learned out to build it right, but it seems that can't, or aren't bothered by it, as this transmission, no matter what it is installed in, is problem prone.

Honestly to me it is all in the rebuilder... I don't know what the original "repair" was....

see what they offer, because the rebuilt tranny should get a 12/12 on it...

Todd Z

If anyone pays $3,200.00 for a rebuild, you are not thinking right. A tranny shop can rebuild it for $1,800.00.

To add what Todd said, many members here have NEVER had a tranny issue. I am one of them. 90,000+ miles and the tranny shifts flawless.

How many times have you changed the tranny fluid?

The rebuilder may have bandaided the tranny and it took that long for it to fail. I have an '02 Trac. I tow too much weight. I drive it too hard. I load the bed up with too much weight.

At the same time, I changed the fluid once a year. I pull the pan and filter when i do it. I use synthetic tranny fluid.

Maybe I am lucky. Maybe what I am doing is keeping my tranny together. Maybe what I am doing is not helping a thing.

I do know at 90,000+ miles, my tranny is shifting fine.

Tom

74,000 miles in 2 years...do you ever stay home...seriously though when the trans had issues at 36k they just went in and fixed whatever the problem was(which probably wasn't much at all) now at 110k the trans has finally given up. The amount of mileage you have put on in the last 2 years may have something to do with it, is this vehicle used for deliveries or do you just live an extremely long way from work and have to sit in alot of stop and go traffic? All of this may be a contributiong factor. Do yourself a favor adn call a few repair shops and ask them where they send there trans work to and give them a call.

I may just take it. Most likely I will find the cheapest way to repair/replace the tranny and trade her in on an F150 or perhaps a Toyota or something.

I'd like to heart some thoughts on this. What you'd do if it was you?

Yep, I'd get rid of it. in fact, I would have traded it after the first trans failure. It just shouldn't happen!

This has been a strange experience for me. I guess I was really holding out hope for at least some type of support from Ford on this. I could have continued to fight the fight I suppose, but after a call back from the dealer saying "Sorry, can't help you. Can I offer a 10% discount on parts?" I decided to cut my losses and move on. I am now driving a '07 Dodge Ram.

I suppose my break with Ford was inevitable, but part of me will truly miss my ST. What a fun vehicle to own! I'm just bummed that the tranny turned out to suck, as did the service at my local dealership. :(

On a side note to that, the dealership that treated me fairly for the first tranny has since changed owners/name. That may be why I found such a big difference in service when I went back.

I will certainly stop in on occasion to see what new crazy photoshopped pictures are posted here, and until then folks, Keep on Trakkin!

-Doomer

Latest posts