'02 sporttrac problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Yoon 2

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to here. My '02 Sporttrac was having some problem & was surfing the net to find any resources then I came here. Well, Here's the trouble,

Whenever I tried to start up (not just in the morning) I'd have to try 2-3 times to get it started. The engine is cranking but it won't start. My mechanic suggested it might be fuel filter so I changed it but no help. Now the guy next door suggested it can be fuel pump. My 'trac does not have any check engine light on. Also when it's on park or neutral & step on gas it won't go over 3000rpm & the car starts to shake. Ford mechanic said it's rev protection & it's normal. Does anybody have similar problem with '02 sporttrac? Mine is 4x2 XL(?) model.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Brian:D

Welcome Brian!

There's been some with fuel pump problems. Use the search feature and type Starting in the 'search for' field, search all posts. You find lots if info.

The engine won't go over 3000 rpm while in Park or Neutral to avoid damage to the transmission should you decide to put it in gear while revving it at 6k rpm.

Have you also checked the fuel pump switch?

Welcome to the site...

Oh, and if it's an '02 it might be a Value, Choice or Premium package, XL, XLT nomenclature showed up until '03.

My engine starts to cut out too at 3000rpms when I'm parked or in neutral. From what I learned around here, it is the rev-limiter and is normal.

Welcome and hope you figure out the other problem.

Welcome to the site, you came to the right place to find answers. Sounds to me like the fuel pump due to the hard starts and now the no start.

Like the others said, it won't rev beyond 3000rpm.;)

Before you try to re-start, turn the key all of the way off. Wait a second or two. Then try to start again. Something in the computer may need to reset.

Lou...

And...Don't forget to give your ST a big hug when it's fixed. My '02, I have to talk sweet lovings to it. :rolleyes:

[Broken External Image]:

before you go to start it next time, turn the key to on, let the fuel pump come on and cycle off. turn the key back to off, and repeat 3 more times. this gets fuel up into the fuel rails. on the fourth time, try to start it as normal. if it starts fine, then it is either your fuel pressure regulator bleeding off, or there may be a check valve in the fuel pump.

Latest posts