'03 Rear Brakes Questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antony Joseph

Reaction score
Hi,

I am an automotive newbie, and I need a reality check on what I have been advised. My '03 ST is at $49.5K, and my "Check Brake" light has come on a couple time -- most usually when it gets cold. I took it in to have it checked out, and was advised that my:

1) front & rear brake pads needs to be replaced

2) rear rotors need to be replaced because there are worn through .. although there is still 10% pads on the rear brakes

3) brake system needs to be flushed.

I always believed that the front brakes would wear out faster than the rear, but this is the first time I have owned a truck. Replacing the front & rear brake pads makes sense, but I am puzzled why the rear rotors would wear out, and especially since I have not heard any squealing noises to let me know the brakes are wearing not. Lastly, in looking at the owners manual, I don't see any thing in there for the brake system flush.

Appreciate any words of wisdom to help me understand whether or not this is logical, and any suggestions you might have.

Rgds,

a lot of rear rotors today are at MIN thickness from new.... once you measure them after in use they are below the min spec and need to be replaced....

The brake fluid flush is a great thing to do.... it increases system life and braking performance....

The light came on because more then likely the fluid under the hood was low due to the brake pads being low or worn....

You probably could get away with replacing the pads and doing the flush, cleaning the rotors and call it a day,...

But the rotors are around $40 - $50 each and can be found cheaper if you look around...

Todd Z

Todd,

Thanks for the great response - definitely helps me understand the "why"!

Followup question: is it prudent to replace the rear brake pads now, and replace the rear rotors -- say @ 60K? OR is it typically better (& more cost effective) to do them together?

thanks once again,

Hiya Cooter,

It's good practice to make sure whenever replacing one of the friction surfaces (pads or rotors) that the other surface be fresh as well ie: new or resurfaced pads mated with new or resurfaced rotor. Generally if my old pads are in good shape (50% or so) I'll usually take some 60 grit sandpaper to them to remove the glaze and any minor grooves and then reuse them. Oh and if you are doing the brakes yourself, be sure to pick up a few cans of brake cleaner so you can give the new rotors a good cleaning. They usually will come with some sort of preservative on them like oil or a waxy sealer which will gunk up your pads and make a mess of things.

10% on a pad is to little. You can wind up with uneven wear. One pad or one end maybe down to metal. Chewing up the rotor...Seen it too many times. I dont wait that long.