04 Sport trac 4x4 Mileage

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Slaney

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just purchased an '04 Sport Trac with 45,000 miles on it. What is the best way to maximize fuel mileage? I am running 35psi in my tires and have been filling up with gasoline that contains no ethanol. My first tank went 340 miles on 20 gallons with a combine highway/city driving.

I have gotten a little better (17-18) with my 03 with 78K. The first thing I did when I bought it 3 months ago was put a decent set of tires on it. That took care of proper PSI and wheel balancing too.

I never stomp on the gas and don't think I have taken it above 70 on the freeway. I plan on taking a driving vacation in September and will see if the 20 mpg is obtainable on pure freeway/highway driving.

Bucky 17mpg for mixed city highway is about as good as you can expect with the ST (I had an '04).

Exclusive city/local driving expect around 14mpg.

Mostly highway, you might top out around 20mpg.

The only other thing you can do that would cost-effectively increase your MPG is some of the hypermiling stuff:

- really slow starts (no jackrabbit),

- treat the brake like there is a rotten egg behind it that if you have to step on it hard you break...that means as slow as you start, expect to roll to stops using gravity/friction to decellerate/stop.

- Watch the RPMs, keep them as low as possible, all the time.

TJR

Slow down. Feel the grandmother within. Be the grandmother!

Just not my grandmother! "I took off so fast those boys thought I was racing! Hee hee!"

For cost effect, slow starts and coasting stops. Anything you do as some of us have is mostly for performance. Any mpg gains we get, will take a long time to recoup the $$.

Also dont fall for any gimics like the tornado or magnets on the fuel line. If you have a question about any parts upgrades. Ask here, you will get the truth from the good people on this forum. Welcome to the site.:D

Welcome to the site.

A lot of discussion has taken place over the last couple of months. Here my summation:

Slow down to 60 mph or less.

I have added the following to get better gas milage:

AirAid Cold Air Intake (done);

Royal Purple: 5w-30 engine oil, Syncromax tranny fluid, power steering fluid, Purple Ice radiator additive, & MaxGear in the differential;

SCT XCalibrator II w/ programs for 87 octane economy & towing (this has been by far the best bang for the buck);

Trick Flow differential cover w/ Royal Purple MaxGear oil;

Flex-a-lite 180 Extreme electric fan, off w/ engine;

Taylor Vortex (switching to ThunderVolt) spark plug wires & new OEM plugs;

Flowmaster 70 Big Block single-in / duel-out muffler, because I wanted the quietest one on the market;

ZabTeck throttle body;

ZabTeck 'C&L' Mass Air Flow Sensor housing;

Accel Coil Pack (get the Scream'n Demon coil pak from ZabTeck)

My 03 2wd with a manual gets 21 highway. I can't say for sure that's really my highway because I also get 21 on my daily commute which is 1/2 and 1/2. My highway driving is almost all hills so it's hard to say if I'd do better on a flat road. It's almost also always loaded down with camping gear. For me I find I get better mileage with highway tires, keeping it below 2k rpm as much as possible (easier with the manual), and I try to keep it below 70 on the highway. Next time I go up for a weekend camping trip I won't have the wife or kid so I'll be able to stick to 60 and not hear any complaining. I'll report back if I get better mileage then.

Thanks for the tips everyone! I will post some pictures soon. Rodger, it appears you've added quite a bit to your trac, what kind of mileage are you getting?

I am getting 18 - 19 mpg combined city / hwy before slowing down. I am getting, acording to the live setting on my Scangauge, around 26+ mpg on the hwy doing 60 mph. I need to do some data logging with the SCT XCal II in order to fine tune the program more specifically to my vehicle. The next set to tires I get will get going back from 245/70/16 to 235/70/16 for better acceleration w/o changing the rear end from 3:73 to 4:10.

Bucky, Please enter a ST description in your profile, and the yr. & tranny type if you have a gen. 1 and the yr. & engine type (V6 or V8) if you have a gen 2 ST in your signature. That way we will know how to more accurately address your questions.

Latest posts