04 Timing chain rattle???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
Well I'm trying to narrow down where this consistent rattling is coming from when I'm acclerating at 2500-3000rpms with a cool engine. I've changed two pullies and recently switched to 91 with (XCal tune) and the noise persists. Some say it's the timing chain while others say it's not. I'm starting to lean towards timing-chain but what else would consistently make a rattling noise at certain rpm ranges? Bad cat-converter? Plugs?

I have an 04 with ~40K miles.

Could be the xcal is not handling the timing advance properly. What you are hearing is pinging..

I was stock, no tunes, when the noise started happening. I went to 91, w/ tune, to verify if it was pinging or not.

Ian, could you by any chance be talking about the drivebelt tensioner pulley? If so, I've replaced it already.

Could remove the drive belt on an Ice cold engine, Back out of the driveway and go down the block....

It is not recommended but it is a way to rule out any thing that the drive belt is spinning..

Todd Z

You might try a good oil filter and heavier oil just for a little bit. This will tell you if iit is inside the engine or not. I may be wrong,But Todd can answer me on that._Ron

Flip, I've got the same noise on my '02. I put in a heavier oil and the noise is almost non-existent. The noise comes back after a couple thousand miles on the oil, that's how I know it's time for an oil change...

I have the same issue with my '01 job 1.. I'd love to find out how to fix it.. It's very quiet but now that I know it's there it's all I hear... It only happens in the lower gears..

Griff, your 01 job 1 IS the motor that is the most effected, there is a kit and many posts with exact instructions on how to replace the tensioners...

Thicker oil can help and is a cheep way to diagnose the issue......

Todd Z