04 V8?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clay Campbell

Reaction score
a v8 from the 07+ models wouldnt be a very easy fit in an 01-05 would it.. any better than a mountaineer of explorer 5.0? if at all?

You can actually transfer the entire motor, tranny, 4X4 system, and computer right over to the sport trac.

There was a write up in a post here a while back. I looked for it but had no luck.(I looked very quickly) The person who did it used a mountaneer and he stated that it cost him all of 500 bucks total for the swap. And I believe that included the donor truck.

Paul H

Thanks Johnny O thats the post that was posted here a while ago.

So after reading them again (really considering doing this when my V6 gets to tired) the only small problems will be these:

96 5.0 has a return fuel system, ST is returnless.

96 Ex PCM is not PATS compatible, ST has PATS.

Instrument cluster need minor rewire to read V8 RPM.

ST speedometer driven from transmission OSS sensor through PCM, 96 Explorer from signal generator at the transmission or transfer case.

Rear Driveshaft

Otherwise it's a direct drivetrain bolt in.

Paul H

You need a 99-01 Explorer for a bolt in conversion.

96 5.0 has a return fuel system, ST is returnless. 99-01 Explorer is Returnless.

96 Ex PCM is not PATS compatible, ST has PATS. 99-01 Explorer is same as ST

Instrument cluster need minor rewire to read V8 RPM. Very easy

ST speedometer driven from transmission OSS sensor through PCM, 96 Explorer from signal generator at the transmission or transfer case. 99-01 Explorer is same as ST

Chad

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI Quoted from another post regarding the 5.0L V8 swap into a Sport Trac.

Passive Anti-Theft System (SecuriLock):

98~2001 Explorers are type B PATS which uses a standalone PATS Module. All 2001~2003 STs manufactured after 7/24/00 have type E PATS which has the PATS Module functions integrated into the PCM. (If you can find a rare early 2001MY ST manufactured before that date, it should have the same B PATS as the 5.0L Ex.)

For the 2001.5~2003 Sport Tracs that came with type E PATS: if you just swap in the 98+ Explorer 5.0 and its PCM/calibration, PATS will no longer work and the engine will not start. To correct this, you have 2 choices:

* Find a way to bypass/disable PATS; or

* Install and wire the PATS Module and PATS transceiver from the 5.0 Ex into the ST. You would also need #1 transponder keys to match the type B PATS components.