05 SPORT TRAC - E85 with P1072 & P1075 EMMISSION CODES

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I am new to this site and I am needing some advice on a recent problem that I am having with my 2005 Sport Trac 4.0L (K) - Flex Fuel Vehicle.

I have always used Unleaded 87 Octane in my truck, until recently. I ran one full tank of E85 through it, and within 3 or 4 days my truck threw 2 emission codes - bank 1 too rich and bank 2 too rich. Cleared the codes and they came back the same day. I would think that the E85 and the Engine Service Light with Emission Codes are related to one another, since I have never had any problems like this before or any emissions codes before.

Not sure if I ruined the O2 Sensors or what??? Has anyone else had this happen to them?

you probably didn't ruin anything......

If the plugs are old, wires ECT, the engine didn't like the e85

also E85 sucks for MPG and its really a waste.....

Run that tank empty and go back to 87 and stay

You will be happier that way.

Todd Z

I agree with the MPG statement. I got about half the normal miles per gallon on the E85.

I was towing my boat up to the lake, 2 days in a row and went through 23 gallons of E85 in about 24 hours. So I immediately went back to using 87 Octane Unleaded. Then the service engine light came on 2 days later. I had my friend hook up his Shop Pro scan tool to read and cancel the codes. But the service engine light came back on a few hours later. I am having him scan it again this week. He said that his Shop Pro guy mentioned having to re-program my truck, but did not go into detail. So that is where I am at now. I just wanted to know if anyone had else had had a similar or same experience with their Sport Trac 4.0L (K), and if they had a possible fix.

A reminder that you can check the menu on the left and click the FAQ to look up OBD Codes. Also, maybe the E85 has to either completely run through your truck. You might think about running some fuel system cleaner too. Clean anywhere the E85 has touched before you reprogram the computer.

We have had members have to replace plugs when this has happened.

Also check for a vacuum leak and check the common elbow that is known for leaking.

Todd Z

UPDATE -- No vacuum leak detected and no parts had to be replaced. Yesterday, I had my friend hook up his Tech 1 scan tool and clear the P1072 and P1075 codes again. Then he used the same scan tool to recalibrate the fuel trim levels in the engine's computer. That tank full of E85 fuel made the trim levels go out of control, which made the O2 sensors throw the codes for Bank 1 and Bank 2 being too rich. The computer could not compensate for the amount of trim needed to get the air fuel ratio back to the normal range. that is why the codes kept returning after being cleared previously. No explanation as to why this problem happened, since my truck is a Flex-Fuel vehicle. Anyways, the engine light has not come back on and my friend was fairly confident he made the right fix to the problem. I will keep you posted if the problem returns. Thanks for the participation in this matter.

Latest posts