05 ST XLT Just Purchased......Any Advice?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy Ezell

Reaction score
Hello all...

Brand new to the site, just joined, because last week, got a GREAT deal on a truck I've always wanted.... Sport Trac!!! It's an 2005 XLT Rear Wheel Drive with the hard top on the bed. It's a V6. It had 36k on it...snagged it for a nice price.

I am new to Fords and ST's and wanted to ask for any general advice you may have...what should I get maintenance, what should I anticipate, etc?

Thank you!

Jeremy. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, don't tell us what you paid - you'll make us feel bad.

Seriously, I'd start by looking though the projects (see link on left side of page), and do a search in the message board for anything of interest to you. Lots of good stuff in these areas.

Unless you have assurances that it was done, start by doing the items listed on the 30K maintenance schedule. You can download an owner's manual and maintenance schedule at

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp

good luck and welcome to the site!

WELCOME to the site and GOOD luck wit the truck !!!!

Agreed, I would look and check EVER fluid level in the truck..... Check belts hoses things like that....

There were a couple of common things like the upper rad hose rubs on the tranny dipstick, Oil can leak out of the hose on the back of the driver side valve cover...

A Zip tie fixes them.....

Check all fluids, at 36K I would change the air filter, and fuel filter. Check the belt....

Todd Z

Welcome to the site Jeremy,

Todd just said a GREAT one. (It's a VERY common problem.)

Shocks, Double Check the Tire Pressure. That'll help save tires...

and like rmac siad check the projects board.(you can go crazy there with miscelaneous mods to help out your trac...)

Good Luck with your ST.:)

rob

Unless you have assurances that it was done, start by doing the items listed on the 30K maintenance schedule.

Agree. DO get the transmission flushed unless you have positive proof that the previous owner did it (doubtful). I had an '05 that I got new, the manual did not specify a tranny flush every 30k as did my previous trucks with the same engine and tranny, but I'd do it anyway. Ford transmissions are unlikely to last much past 100k if you do not flush them every 30k. It says to change the transfer case lube every 60k but I'd do it every 30k, it's not hard.

On my '05 I had a ball joint and a wheel bearing that were short-lived but no problems otherwise.

Welcome to the site Jeremy. I too have an 05 XLT 4x4 that I bought used 10K miles ago. I regularly change the oil every 3000 miles and met the schduled maintenance as precribed by Ford. I have changed the transmission and transfer case fluid, replaced serpentine belt and tensioner, fuel filter, shocks. Next plan is to change the plugs.

Thanks everyone. This is a lot of help. I want to make sure I have as few problems with the truck as possible (that are within my control). I had a brand new Honda 2007 Civic before, so Im coming from a car that had no problems. I've had everyone and their grandmother say "Dont dare get a Ford, they are aweful, Found On Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily, etc" but I want to find out for myself. So far, no complaints with the truck, other than the gas mileage. But of course, the civic was 40 mpg, but had a 500 dollar car payment too :D

...I think that I am better off heh.

Thanks!

Found On Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily, etc

Two for the optomists:

Fine On Road Dependibility and

First On Race Day

Hopefully "Race Day" in my Mustang :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Todd gave great advice...

Be prepared to help friends and family move and because its roomy you get elected to do airport runs as well.That was my experience when we got ours.LOL

It changes people view of Ford when they see the quality and dependabilty these things have.

These people are nice and know a lot!

Welcome from another newbie

Get an extended warranty on the transmission. That's the only issue I've heard with the first gen STs that's significant, the rest (if any) problems are simple fixes.

Latest posts