05 Theft issues & not starting

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tombstones81

Reaction score
Asking here before I research & research & research all over again~!

05 sport trac.
Recently the Theft light blinking started when it tries to verify the key in the ignition.
Already had the gauges repaired & honestly, I forget if it was initially because of this issue or because of the gauges started to fail to function completely. (both were happening)

What are the main reasons for the Theft system to act up?

Watched one video yesterday that had an explorer (not ST) with the same system & it was basically the battery & key programming.
He fixed it by replacing the battery, clearing all of the programmed keys, & reprogramming the keys again.

The key I have (only have 1) is not original.
So im thinking of calling around to locksmiths to find one with the programming tool.
& doing what the video did & replace the battery, reset the keys, & program some new ones in.

Anything else to look at tho?
any wires that tend to come loose maybe? etc etc

thank you

Battery replaced & still did it but not as often for me.
Stopped at the locksmith & she was able to test my key & said its Ok.
Then suggested maybe the chip reader is on the fritz.

167,000 miles, I wouldnt doubt it.

Is this all I have to replace?
& do I need to go to a dealer to have it programmed to the car & then the keys to it?

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/electrical/sensorsdevices/transceiver-7879765-1

(edit)
Researched some more before anyone could reply.
apparently that is all I have to replace & got one otw for $44 :)
2 walkthrough videos didnt have to reprogram anything or any keys.
Will see when it arrives.
Will update when I replace it, on how it goes.

Last edited:
Well, the truck got stuck for the wife at the grocery store last night & would NOT cooperate.

Also read a review on one of the transceivers, that it was too short & they had to splice into the wires.
But that was for a 98 explorer.

was under the dash last night checking the wiring out.....
all spliced up from one of the previous owners buying it at a buy here, pay here place that puts GPS & a ton more into it.
I knew that & removed everything a Long time ago, but the transceiver wires After the plug were also messed with.
there is actually two "Green Plugs" on the transceiver wiring.
the furthest away female plug has half of the inlets for the male plug then the one thats actually plugged in.

Has a new plug been added or is that normal?

heres the one I bought & has the same plug as the one on there now.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NS1BXE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I get the truck home, I'll check the splicing & inspect the wiring further.

Well, the news transceiver arrived 2 freakin days ago!!!! (bought on the 19th!!!!)

& that one is even worse then the current one~!!!
Mounted in place, it doesnt recognize the key At All~!
Unmounted (no screw but in place behind ignition) & the sensor area pushed against the ignition, it worked.

So its either a weak transceiver or a weak sensor in the key.

Working on getting 2 more keys cut & programmed to see if its the current & only key I have.
or if its just a weak transceiver as I said.

atm the old one that works better is back in
Im just leaving the screw out, so I can pull the sensor ring closer to the ignition to properly read the key every time.

So thats one thing to try for anyone having a PATs problem.

& if the new keys have the same issues.
I am just going to cut open one of the key & super glue or tape the sensor directly onto the transceiver sensor.
Then just get normal unchipped keys cut.

Will update when I get the extra keys cut & programmed to see if its the key or transceiver.

& it already acted up again this morning for the wife (she had to leave it at the gas station AGAIN.....)
then after we left the store it acted up for me until I moved the sensor closer to the ignition.

Just a quick update to try & help others having the same PATs issue.

90% of the time it would only act up for the wife (typical...) haha

Since Friday, I have left the transceiver unscrewed & the wife has been holding the transceivers sensor against the ignition when turning the key into the On position with Zero issues.

Not sure if its the same for other ST's.
But my 05, there is quite a gap between the ignition & the transceiver sensor thats behind it.

& even tho I am not using the new transceiver I ordered.
Grateful it gave me the idea to hold the sensor closer like I've been.

Was waiting on a mobile locksmith on Friday but they never answered their phone after an hour they said to call them back.
So I am still waiting to get another key cut & programmed to test which sensor is weak.

Just commenting in hopes it will help others having stupid PATs issues.

Oh & I am not sure if the cover behind the steering wheel covers the transceiver sensor behind the ignition.
As my covers have been off since I was getting the gauges repaired & fixing a part in the column.
Still have to replace the shifting lever as the Overdrive button has broken on the current one since I got it.
Have it, just have not gotten around to it yet.
thats why I dont know if the cover covers the sensor.

Latest posts