'05 w/4x4 on causes bump vibration mystery

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim B

Reaction score
I did a search and can't find anyone else w/ this problem. While going down the hiway at 65mph w/4 wheel hi engaged -there is an intermittent "bump" which feels just like hitting a pothole or big expansion joint in the road. It shakes the whole truck and seems to be the same intensity each time. This is on a SMOOTH road! It doesthe same it at low speed on smooth roads w/ less intensity.There is no pattern or rythme to it. The only thing I did lately was haveMonroe Reflex shocks installed. No lights come on and the 4x4 light :huh:stays lit when the 'bumping sensenation happens. When I do hit the potholes and expansion joints that are obvious-it feels normal.I'm taking it in to the Stealer tommorrow -but I'd like to have some clue beforehand-My warrenty is still good for 4 k more miles..Anybody-anybody?:blink:

What are the road conditions? If they are dry and you are doing any turning of the steering wheel you will get binding. If it is dry and straight or slippery on the road then something else is wrong.

What are your air pressures? Could it be a suspension bind if you have the fronts too high or low of a pressure?

Tom

Do you have the OD on or is the OD off light lit....

Todd Z

If you're going 65mph, road conditions are probably not slippery enough to allow slippage between the front and rear drivetrain. The bump is likely the transfer case skipping. Don't use 4HI or Low unless conditions allow for some slippage - snow, mud, dirt, etc.

A question: Doesn't the 4x4 disengage above a certain speed, or am I thinking of my 95 Explorer w/ control trac?

Well... no answers yet!

There is big ass ice storm going on here on the east coast is" Why am i going 65 in 4wd?' I was always able to do it in previous winters here w/ no "bumping" going on.

Also-I'm not turning the wheel-just going straight on ice and snow covered straight hiway.

And tire pressure is equal all around.

No light are coming on indicating anything amiss on dash. OD is engaged-working fine.

Anymore ideas?:wacko: Thanks for trying!:blink:

Do not rely on lights alone. Light bulbs do fail. Also, lights will not identify a mechanical problem like a CV joint, ball joint, or universal joint.

Tom

Does the thump happen you give it gas? If so this normal, mine makes a thump in 4hi if i give it gas while moving.

Chad

You said that you did it previous winters with no issue and this just cropped up, so I would say it isn't due to user errror. Maybe the suggestions like Caymen made about CV joint or Universal joint.

Well- the Stealer tech said i needed a flushout for the transfer case to the tune of $250! Not covered by warrenty! Great! AndSoooo.. reasonable! Gag!:angry:

They then did the flush and said "We aren't going to charge you for the flushout"To which I replied"Did you find some "parts" in the oil? "Yes, we did and you need a new transfer case!" OK sezs me,"Is it covered by my warrenty? YES!- YES it is!:p So my transfer case turned its internals into lunch meat w/o benefit of my input, apparently!:huh:

So I'm wondering- How much is a new, installed, transfer case worth?- Anybody???? I love warrenty savings!:lol::p

I had the same thing happen with my 03. No clunking, it just made a real high pitched noise, they drained the fluid and it was full of shrapnel. I was told that the case itself was 3000 cnd plus installation. Thankfully that one was under warranty.

Got an estimate to R & R and rebuild my TC (not an exchange). I think it was $200.00 for parts (bearings, seals, gaskets, etc), $300.00 for rebuild labor and $150.00 for R & R.

Probably around 700.00 to $750.00 by the time all is done.