05 XLT 60mph+ shimmy shake

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donofreeq

Reaction score
Been throwing parts and labor at my 05 XLT and refuse to give up for some reason. Vibration is during acceleration and deceleration 60mph and up. Until now I have done the below and still get the bad vibes on the highway. Very frustrating, thanks in advance for suggestions and thoughts.

148k miles, No accidents
Driveshaft reconditioned and balanced
Wheels balanced (twice)
Alignment
Engine mounts (helped but did not fix root cause)
Body mounts (helped but did not fix root cause)
New shocks
New brakes

Probably a bad tire or bent rim. Balancing does nothing, can be balanced but bent. ALSO must properly check all tie rods and other front end and rear components. Cant just throw parts at it.

Probably a bad tire or bent rim. Balancing does nothing, can be balanced but bent. ALSO must properly check all tie rods and other front end and rear components. Cant just throw parts at it.
Ok thanks! I assume I have to find someone willing to lend me a set of good tires and rims for a couple hours? ;) visually my wheels and tires look fine. I have had a shop do an over all inspection prior to doing motor mounts. steering linkage, front suspension system and tie rods checked out ok.

I agree with toddz it sounds like rim or tire out of round, try putting front to rear and see if it changes any, you will feel the difference when in front or rear, it feels a little more violent when in the front vs rear.

Good call, I rotated the rear to the front and now the vibes are more noticeable in the steering where before it was mostly under the seat. Next I am hoping a wheel from the salvage yard will clean things up. Much appreciated, have a great weekend!

Hope you find it...

Thanks not looking great so far. Local place pulled one and I arrived to pick it up and it was similar style but 17" from an Explorer. Their system stated it was 16".

Thanks for the help as well
or at least another part for me to check.
Have the same truck (05 xlt) & my steering has been basically wobbling the steering wheel back & forth a bit.
Gotten slightly worse over time as it was mostly at highway speeds.

Was in for a very thorough inspection in Nov with no issues.

Did check the passenger wheel bearings & those are good, but yet to check the driver side.

not hijacking to get help, just saying ty for another part to check that I didnt think of.

Difficult problem to figure out as it sounds like a persistent wobble at 60mph. I had a similar problem but it was only when applying brakes at high speed. Turned out to be the front hubs. Replaced them and everything was fine. This was on my prior 05 XLT, not my 2010. Double check your tie rod bushings to make sure they are seated properly and not worn or missing. Also, is this a 4X4? if so, check your transfer.

Appreciate all the feedback and assistance. Turns out when I moved the rear wheel to the front the vibration changed its characteristics (more in the wheel less in the seat). I found a salvage yard with one matching wheel left and scooped it up for $50. Mounted balanced and vibration nearly 100% gone. Turns out the old wheel had 3 out of round lug holes due to prior improper lug nut tightening.
Looking forward to an adventurous Memorial Day weekend in the ST. Thanks again!