'07 First Interstate Trip and MPG!!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Costin

Reaction score
O.K., I've had my ST since last October and just took my first all interstate trip of any length last Saturday...drove 100 miles from Greenville, SC to Charlotte, NC airport. I know you may be thinking, how have I had it for almost a year, have 14,000 miles on it, and not driven on the interstate??? Well, I've taken several a small 50 mile trips one way, but they are mostly state highways and a little interstate. I took a trip this summer to Myrtle Beach (240 miles one way), but I was pulling a popup camper. So, this is my first trip of 100 miles or more with no cargo or pulling anything.

With that said, I got 24 mpg going there and around 22 mpg coming back...according to the ST computer, which has been pretty close to accurate during the last year. I was shocked!!!! I was expecting 20, maybe 21, but not 24. I did get 16-17mpg this summer pulling the popup and my everyday driving (23 mile commute one way to work) which combines side roads, city streets, and about 10 miles of interstate it averages 16-18 mpg. I was shocked to get 24 and shocked that I could drive the 200 miles roundtrip and still have a little over 1/2 tank of gas!

I have a long trip coming up this weekend...driving from South Carolina to Indiana, which is about 535 miles one way. I will be hauling up our old washer and dryer to give to a family member and attending a football game! Anyhow, I am looking forward to testing the mileage there and back!

I have the same truck and have experienced the same numbers with Gas Mileage. Mine is a V8 - I can assume by the numbers that your's is also a V8. You didn't specify in your post or member profile.

I have an '07 V6, NO MODIFICATIONS whatsoever, and have never seen above 18.0 MPG. I have 41,??? something miles on my truck, bought it brand new June 2007. I drive it on the highway everyday 40 miles to work, all interstate, 40 miles home from work, all interstate. I drive with windows up, A/C on 1 or 2, cruise control at 75/76 MPH.

Please tell me what the heck I am doing wrong, to keep me from getting the MPGs everyone else seems to be?:(

if I could go back a year ago and redo the purchase, well I would have gone with V8.

Unfortunately the interstate I am on every day, SR 528 "The Beachline, or BeeLine", does not allow one to travel much slower than 75 mph without risk of being run off the road or flat out ran over. there is hardly ever traffic enforcement on that stretch of highway, and when there is, it is merely one cop in an unmarked dark blue chevy impala with blacked out windows, usually right around halfway between the Orlando International Airport and Cocoa Beach (the route I travel every day). I have tried to go somewhat slower, 70/71 camped in the slow lane, but I saw no improvement in mpg. oh well, I guess.

Maybe I should print this thread off as justification to my fiance that I need to trade the trac in for a new V-8 STA..... :D since she axed my idea of buying a motorcycle to get to/from work, based on my daily route of travel.

OH :eek: The BEELINE!!! I had a flat there on a 30' travel trailer several years back. Talk about a nightmare trying to repair it. You're right - those trucks barrel down that road at 75 EASY. The trailer was swaying a good foot as the trucks flew by. My wife was warning me when one came by so I could stand back (just in case.)

Thank god for the camper jacks - I put all 4 down to stabilize while changing the flat. BOY! THAT was a challenge.

A 20 minute tire change ended up taking 1 1/2 hours.

Maybe you could draft one of these big rigs? That'll save you lots of gas ;)

The terrain from Greenville to Charlotte is mostly rolling hills and I had the cruise on about 70-75 and the A/C on as well. I think I had a little bit of a tailwind going there and then of course the wind and a little extra weight coming back, which would explain the difference to and from. I haven't done any modifications to my ST either.

Reading the messages on here over the last year or say, I too am perplexed by the difference in mpg between the ST's. That is why I have always been curious about what kind of mpg I could get...I will no better after my long trip this weekend.

wc,

Hills are so bad on mileage, assuming that you have uphills and down hills it average out pretty well.

The difference in the return mileage may be due to temperature, traffic, wind, or perhaps you were climing in elevation on the return trip. There could be a slight difference in the gas blend which was used when you filled up for your return trip. Many regurlar grades of gasoline have some small quantities of alcohol mixed in to give a certain octane, but alcohol gives about 25% les mileage than gas, and some brands of gas will put in as much as 10% alcohol in their regurlar gasoline.

...Rich

We just got back from vacation pulling a 4300 lb trailer. At 55 mph I got an average of 8.2mpg, the best I got was 9.4. I get 18 without the trailer at 60 mph. My friend has F150 and he get better than me hell my brother gets better than me with his motor home pulling his car. I believe it is all due to the tranny. I was getting 21 before the last tsb.

Ed

I am just at a loss for ideas on what causes me to only get the 17 mpgs I currently get. I have never had any engine work done, no TSBs, never had issues with the engine or the tranny, no mods, nothing. oh well. it is what it is.

And yes, Just Jimmy you are 100% correct about the BEELINE. Lets not even get into how freaked out people get when it rains on the BEELINE....:wacko:

I consistently get 21+ mpg on my 07 V6 xlt, in a rural setting, 22 miles round trip to work, only 4 red lights so mostly hwy driving (max speed limit is 55) but I ususally go 45-50, have gotten over 26 mpg before on an extended trip, 180 miles to visit family, all interstate, never over 65 mph speed. my 07 is stock, no mods, except for an undercover tonneau cover, which helped on the 26 mpg on the extended trip maybe .5 mpg increase. Unfortunately, soon as I got into stop/go city driving, it went down fairly quick, but still stayed around 20-21mpg. Even got 18+ in stop/go race traffic at Bristol in 8/08.

I get 24 MPG...I get 26 MGP...I hate you...I hate you all! (just kidding, but the best I've accomplished with my '03 4.0 V6, was 20 mpg, with the cruise to to 65 :-(

I take the occasional trip to Key West. For the most part, the speed limit in around 45mph.

If I travel at the speed limit, and take very leisurely slow starts (hey, it's the Keys after all), I'll get a consistent 26mpg. No joke - not just on the trip computer, but actually doing the math.

I really have to say, other than the tranny issues, I love this V8 truck. :D