07 Lift and upper control arm

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

tnjim

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum so please forgive me if my question has been addressed previously. I posted this as a reply on another older thread and am now thinking that may not have been the best place to post it.

I have a 2007 2WD that I had a local shop put a 3" lift on the front (ordered from Realtrucks). I inherited the truck from my dad that passed away last year and because I am new to the sport trac world, I was ignorant of the problem it creates with the OEM upper control arm being too short making it unable to be aligned (negative camber I think is what they called it). I have read several posts about the BTF upper control and it sounds like it will solve the camber problem. I have read some other posts but don't think I saw where someone definitely got these and it solved that problem. I would very much appreciate advice about those upper control arms before I drop $700. Thanks!
Jim

Todd Z

Reaction score
3" is too much for these trucks.... the 2.5 is way better..... BTF says it will work 3" but it doesn't. They did re design the arm but i don't think it helps..

tnjim

Reaction score
That is where I have gotten to. I will just have the lift taken off and put the stock wheels back on. Hard lesson learned. Thanks for the help.

tnjim

Reaction score
I have scheduled a time for the local shop to remove the lift next week. One thing I am curious about is whether I can run it with the new tires/wheels I bought without a lift. I'm probably use wishful thinking but I measured the height of the new tires compared to the OEM wheels/tires and it is 1 1/2" taller than factory. Even though 1 1/2" doesn't sound like a lot more to me, I guess it might be too much to work correctly. Do you have any thought about that?

Thanks.

Todd Z

Reaction score
Unfortunately backspacing and a lot of other things comes into play. The best thing you could do if you’re going to just remove the lift is just put them on and see what happens. If you reused the factory struts it may not but if you put a set of Monroe quick struts in that will lift the truck 1 inch on its own and you may be fine from there.

curtis james

Reaction score
on my 07 i had larger wheels and tires and no lift and no issues,it was a 4wd and they were way bigger then stock, i will look for the size, i wanted my 07 lifted but it was to new for a lift at the time, i pre ordered it. did not care for the new gen 2 so sold it. the ones i see look so nice lifted. i do not see my pics on here from my 07 i had sitting next to my 04. do not recall if gen 2 have torsion bars but you can raise a tiny bit with them, but as todd said the off set is where ya need to worry on wheels. and as he said try them and see,

tnjim

Reaction score
on my 07 i had larger wheels and tires and no lift and no issues,it was a 4wd and they were way bigger then stock, i will look for the size, i wanted my 07 lifted but it was to new for a lift at the time, i pre ordered it. did not care for the new gen 2 so sold it. the ones i see look so nice lifted. i do not see my pics on here from my 07 i had sitting next to my 04. do not recall if gen 2 have torsion bars but you can raise a tiny bit with them, but as todd said the off set is where ya need to worry on wheels. and as he said try them and see,
The tires are 265/60/18. From the ground to the top of the tire is about 30 1/4". I think you and Todd are right and I will just try them and see. I don't have the tools or know how to take struts off and on, but I can change wheels. So, I will get the local shop to take the lift off and we can see if the wheels will work without the lift. And, at this point, it won't hurt anything to try it and see. Worst case, I can take the new wheels off and put the OEM back on myself. I have measured a good bit and the distance from the middle part of the wheel (where it sits on the lugs) to the inside edge is about the same as the OEM wheel. And, if it's really close but only needs a little extra, the Monroe struts Todd suggested may get it over the top. It would be great if it would work, even if it is just dumb luck. If these wheels will work, I'll post some pictures.

Todd Z

Reaction score
I had 33" on my 2010 XLT on OEM adrenalin rims, Needed spacers, should have used BTF arms and had all sorts of issues....

Reaction score
265/70r17 on mine, and at full turn it rubs sometimes. Supposedly it’s about 31.6”x10.5”, but we all know that varies brand to brand. The stock size was 235/70r16, so it’s well over 1.5 inches taller with the new tires.

I remember a guy on Facebook claiming this same size fit on his stock suspension with minimal rubbing, but with his tone I suspected he was just being a little deceitful to be a troll. Honest or not, the lift still leveled the truck, made it look tougher, and gave more ground clearance.

tnjim

Reaction score
Well, got the lift off today and, so far, it looks like the wheels/tires will work okay. I have only driven it about 20 miles, but no rubbing or other weird things happening. I don't want to get ahead of myself but I am pleasantly surprised at this point. Here are a couple of pictures as I promised.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220810-163855_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220810-163855_Gallery.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220810-164015_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220810-164015_Gallery.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts