07 performance questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill townley

Reaction score
I dont own a sporttrac yet but I am considering a new 07 I really like the sporttrac ride and drive but I feel some of those 292 horses are missing.I am aware there are programmers are avaible and expect cai and performance exhaust will soon be out.After driving a couple of the v-8s I feel the main problem is the gearing-3.55 with the tall tires and 4800lbs to haul around.Has anyone changed gears on an o7 v-8, the v-6 has 3.73 surely they will fit and 3.91 or 4.11 might even better with 6 speeds and overdrive the effect on gas mileage should be little.Ideas Opinions THanks for listening. Bill

Bill,

Welcome to the site...

The low throttle feel is the "ramp in" in the throttle by wire and tranny shifting issues...

Those can be corrected by the programmer.

As for the gears if you get 4wd you need to change the front and back... If 2wd then just the back,

BUT if you calculate the rear gear ratio of 3.55 and the first gear ratio in the new 6 speed tranny, it is more than a mustang !!!!!!!

I think you will only HURT performance if you up the gearing...

Todd Z

I do not think gears will help all that much and you hit the nail on the head with 4800 lb

the tuner and cat back will help alot.

A sct Xcal Flash installed through the computer Diagnostic port will allow for improved performance. Assure that your supplier flases the programs which allow user adjustments. This will allow you to eventually put smaller diameter tires on the 18" rims to add some performance rather than changing gearing. You can program the outside circumferance of the tires and the speedo will be adjusted.

You can also adjust the shift points a bit as well as transmission shift pressure to allow better shifting.

www.sctflash.com:wub: