07 shifting problems

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 07 has issues with shifting real hard into 2nd gear. This is mostly evident at low speeds. I took it in a while back and they reprogrammed the computer which seemed to fix it. But it's back. I don't understand why the computer would need reprogrammed AGAIN? One interesting observation is if I keep driving it, it will gradually get better but seems to get worse after having towed my boat. Should I take it back in? I can just see this as being a cronic issue and don't really want to play this game all the time. I suppose if I don't bother taking it in the factory won't know they may have built a lemon.

I wounder if the adaptive learn on the tranny is "confused".....

Can try disconnecting the battery for a little bit and reset it...

Todd Z

I've had what feels like a small power surge and indicisive shifts all at low sppeds in the 1st & 2nd on my 07 V8 4X4 ST but had a real weird shift when I left work today. The tranny acted like it did 3 quick hard shifts just after I accelerated and it didn't feel to good from the drivers seat. The truck was pretty cold....I had just started it up. Felt kinda like 3 quick hard shifts with slips in between. I have just been monitoring the tranny and have mentioned it in my Customer Survey to FORD. I have less than 1500 miles and was planning to bring all the issues up when I get my ST serviced. I may go back to the dealed if this keeps up. Not to thrilled about getting the computer flashed but if that will take care of it? I think it was built in July. I hope this isn't a issue I'll have as long as I own it.

Gary:blink:
:

Last edited by a moderator:
I talked to a ford mechanic a few months ago and he said the trany on my 05 was the good one. We all know about the 01-05 trannies. He said the one to watch out for was the one on the new explorer. I hope that Ford has not given the sport trac another dud trany.

I had the same problem when I first bought it... I took it back to the dealership and the service manager said it's learning your driving patterns... I did 2 ski trips to the Rockies... put on about 200 0 KM and I haven't had a problem since.

I understand that the computer might be trying to learn my driving habits but maybe it should be able to tell when I'm done towing something. Seems like a flaw to me.