'07 Sport Trac Transmission Fix

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Martin

Reaction score
Ford finally has fixed my 6 speed transmission shifting problem. As reported on this and other Ford forums, the Explorer/Spor Trac 5 and 6 speed transmission sometimes exhibit rough shifts between first and second --- either up or down. Last July I brought it to my dealer complaining about the problem, telling them that from the start, the shifting was not normal. Their response was to reprogram the TCM with an updated program. That helped but didn't totally fix the rough shifts.

Last week I had a gas filler cap light on the panel that wouldn't go away. They found a selenoid in the gas canister vacuum system was faulty and replaced it. I complained again that the shifting problen still existed and they had one of their transmission mechanics take the Sport Trac for a drive.

They reflashed the PCM, as well as the TCM and replaced the valve body in the transmission with an updated version. Now it works as it should.

:cool:

There was a member with the same thing, they replaced the valve body and it was fixed...

Todd Z

Is this V-8 specific or is it V-6 too? My V-6 has been experiencing some rough/sloppy shifting here recently and I think this may be my problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
The TSB refers to 4.6L vehicle built on or before 5/4/2006. I posted the TSB in my library so feel free to take a look.

*Note: The TSB has nothing to do with the transmission valve body(only the PCM and TCM) which could be the issue with yours.

Thanks Lil Red-- I knew about that TSB-- was wondering if something new was out.

I'll cross my fingers--my '07 shifts a little funky at times, but I don't have the "coming to a stop bump" that everyone else is getting. Otherwise my transmission seems to be fine.

I'm more worried about the hard "slam" into 4wd that makes the clanging noise, etc.