07 ST Loud Revving Noise During Acceleration

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E B

Reaction score
A few weeks back my ST developed a noise that usually happened after taking off from a complete stop. It was a high pitched sound that would increase as the RPM would increase. After a bit it would "catch" and the sound would go away until the next stop. Sometimes it would go through several gears, sometimes it wouldn't make it through the first before catching. I let my girlfriend borrow it to run to the store and she calls me from a red light stating that it died on her. I took it into the dealership and explained to them what had happened and about the noise. They had it for almost a week and said that it had overheated and that a head gasket was blown and that the head also needed to be replaced. All of this covered by warranty. A few days later I get a call and they said the radiator needed to be replaced as well and that this is not covered under the powertrain warranty. All told it eneded up costing $740.00 to get my ST back. I am out of town at work now and I just recieved a call from my girlfriend that the noise has returned. It is not constant but it is there. She is taking it back to the dealer. My concern is that they will discover that it is a different problem, like the fan clutch going out, and charge me for this repair.

My questions to you STers are as follows...could this be a fan clutch problem that caused the engine to overheat in the first place? Is it possible that it also could have damaged the radiator and it in fact did need to be replaced? If the actual problem turns out to have been something else and they replaced a perfectly fine radiator how do I get them to refund my money for unnecessary repairs?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me in this matter. I feel a little trapped in the corner on this one as I am having to deal with it while out of town.

Regards,

EB

I would be hard pressed to believe the radiator is bad on an '07. How many miles. The squel could be the serpintine belt.

38,500 miles at the time. And I have to agree. The dealer said that they tested the radiator and it was bad but I don't have the specifics. I told him that I wanted the old radiator and he agreed. However, I just spoke to my girlfriend and the old radiator wasn't in the truck when she got it. She also just told me that she thinks that this sound does not happen when she turns the AC off (which must be brutal with a 105 heat index). Would the serpentine belt be causing the revving noise happen?

Thats the Electronically controlled cooling fan clutch.....

Sounds like the clutch is not slipping causing the fan to rev with the engine and your hearing the air under the hood..

It is a weird setup and it lets the fan slip and do different things...

Todd Z

Yeah I was thinking the same thing but I am not so sure that the compressor would make the same noise I remember hearing. I also wonder if turning it off just lessens the load on the engine or if she just turned it off for a short time and it didn't make this noise then and concluded that the problem was with the AC. I asked her to leave it off for a while and let me know if it has stopped all together. Just concerned with it being driven as I don't want to have another overheated engine!!

Todd Z, would that have caused the overheating problem (I guess if it went out completely) and shouldn't they have noticed this at the dealership? Can the electric fan clutch cause radiator damage?

IF the clutch is failing and the fan is not moving like it should , Or something is wacky, Yes it can cause the engine to overheat..

HAHAH the dealer actually notice something ??? your kidding right ??

Todd Z

Latest posts