'07 Strange (Annoying) Noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got my LTD V8 ST end of July just before a long business trip and have just 700 miles on it. I've got an annoying noise coming through the firewall, from the engine compartment. Sort of like a metallic squeal / chirping / clicking sound from about 1500RPM to around 2500. Almost like a bad vacuum do-hicky or bad pulley or something. You barely hear it if the a/c fan's workin-out or the radio is on. (I know. I know. Turn up the radio!)

Overall the new ST is great but this gets to be a pain, after awhile.

Anyone else experiencing this.

Thanks,

Flyer

Flyer,

Sounds like you and Unholy MAY have the same problems!

Again, if you can be a little more specific, we can help you (both?) better!;)

End of July and only 700 miles!!! I got mine on August 7th ad have about 1800 on it already! I have not heard those noises from mine, but now of course I will be listening for it. I'll post back here if I hear it!

I've never had that noise. Please see the dealer and report back to us. I have almost 12k miles on mine. No noise issues to report.

I have 1300 miles on mine and have not heard this noise. Is it a ticking sound?

Mine is making a noise sort of like a light clunk sound. I think it's coming from the right front wheel area. I'm keeping my eye on it.

I have a noise similar that comes through the air vent. I also have some sort of vibration around the same rpm range but sounds like its coming from in the dash somewhere. Yea and it bothers the hell out of me to

Flapbreaker:

I'm familiar with the "light clunk" sound you're hearing from the "right front wheel area." Its the a/c comressor cycling on-and-off. (Sad but true.)

Flyer

LSU:

I'm still tracking my noise down. As you point out, it "sounds like its coming from in the dash" (thru or under the instrument cluster) BUT, in fact, its coming from the engine compartment.

The only thing I can add to the explanation is that, yeah, it does incorporate a ticking sound too. Then again there's that symphany of "metallic squeal and chirping going on. Not too surprising when you open the hood and listen to the orchestra. Lottsa mechanical noise going on.

Still luv the truck but it annoys me. (Sorta like being married ;-). Lottsa whining, chirping, alittle hesitation gettin her started but when she's up to speed - a nice ride!

Flyer

Last edited by a moderator:
A little tech help, hopefully, from your resident G.M. Quality Control Technician/

Squeak and Rattle Diagnostic Tech:(Who loves his 'trac, as well!):

The clicking, ticking sound you hear should be your a/c relay cycling the a/c clutch

to engage, thereby coupling the a/c compressor to the drive pulley, which should

explain the thud-thunk-shudder type sound you hear and feel, while your engine

momentarily catches up to the additional load of the a/c kicking in. This may also

be accompanied by a very slight squeal of the drive belt, even on a newer vehicle if

one of the following two conditions were met: engine at low speed, = low torque, causing

engine to lag in keeping up with additional load requirement; or; engine at higher

rpm's, causing belt (load) to have to catch up with the engine rpm's, causing slight

belt squeal (such as the clutch slipping in a manual tranny, until the driveline components

have caught up to speed). Have experienced all of the above on my '05 'Trac when

cycling the a/c on or off! Normal symptoms/conditions for an a/c equipped vehicle,

so far! Also, you may experience a slight vibration in the steering wheel, if your hand

is on it, and/or notice a slight tach flutter while this happens. Again, normal!:D;)

LSU

The noise is still there. I've been around long enought to know its not right. My guess is that its originating from one or more of the pulleys, which is further confirmed (in my opinion) by the accompanying whine - which could be the serpentine belt.

Took it to the dealer and the service writer came out to the ST. He was quick to agree that something's wrong. It goes in for a look see, on Wednesday. We'll see. Holding my breath......

Flyer