07 Toasted Transmission

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have had my 07 trac in numerous times due to shifting issues. Each time there seems to be a "new" program for the computer. The last time in they did a reprogram and also had to change something out in the transmission. I really had high hopes that they had fixed it this time. As usual it worked for a bit. Today though while driving home the computer felt the need to shift gears while at 60mpg just cruising along. Instantly the info screen changed orange and showed a big wrench. I kept driving since all seemed ok. That is until I had to stop at the off ramp. I could barely get the truck moving once the light turned green. I'm assuming this is pretty serious. I'll have it towed in on Monday. I'm curious as to what the fix will be now? Kinda gettting tired of this since the vehicle is less than a year old and under 9k miles.

The yellow wrench means control module software trouble I suspect. I'll bet the mechanics of your trans is fine.....just more nuisance with the programming.

Steve

I am in the middle of a transmission issue with my 07. A new transmission is supposed to come in today for a swap, due to a clicking-type noise. I've made previous posts regarding this.

I would be very curious to find out what is happening with yours. Mine has a little over 12K miles on her. Please let us know when you get the news. I'll do the same on mine.

Ford really needs to invest in better transmissions. Particularly when they offer the same few transmissions with a history of problems across several models.

I had the same thing happen to me back in August with the Orange wrench coming on, when I started to go from a complete stop, I called the ford dealer while I was driving and took the truck in, ( it would not shift out of first), needless to say, they didn't even test drive it, they turned the truck off, and called me later and said they could not find anything wrong with it and the wrench light was gone...grrrrr.. I have had my truck in at least 4 times with issues with the transmission, and they have replaced parts, reset computer, etc.. It usually does good for a few months and then it starts again, matter of fact, it is doing it again, and I have not taken it back, I am just sooooooooo tired of dealing with this. I am thinking seriously about trading it in, and letting it become someone's headache.. I love the truck, but I have never had so many problems with a new vehicle. I will never buy another ford..

I had the same thing happen to me back in August with the Orange wrench coming on, when I started to go from a complete stop, I called the ford dealer while I was driving and took the truck in, ( it would not shift out of first), needless to say, they didn't even test drive it, they turned the truck off, and called me later and said they could not find anything wrong with it and the wrench light was gone...grrrrr.. I have had my truck in at least 4 times with issues with the transmission, and they have replaced parts, reset computer, etc.. It usually does good for a few months and then it starts again, matter of fact, it is doing it again, and I have not taken it back, I am just sooooooooo tired of dealing with this. I am thinking seriously about trading it in, and letting it become someone's headache.. I love the truck, but I have never had so many problems with a new vehicle. I will never buy another ford..

Check out your lemon law where you live maybe you can get out of the truck all together. Ford needs to wake up from this dream they are in before nobody wants to buy their stuff anymore.

Dingo,

Actually, you got that backwards. It's the transmission that has the problems, Ford is trying to fix a hardware problem with software.

These same problems go all the way back to the 4 speed automatics that preceeded the 5 speed and now the 5 speed automatic transmission. They have all had problems with slipping during shifting and Ford has not been able to resolve the problem.

One attempt they made with the 5 speed, was to install special speed sensors in the transmission to determine what speeds the various gears were rotating prior to shifting. That way they could tell if the 2nd gear solenoid was fully disengaged before attempting to engage 3rd gear. That did nothing to solve the problem and only generates the occasional blinking O/D light.

...Rich