'07 Tranny sticking in park

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin Cox

Reaction score
I got the TSB done for the shifting problems yesterday and it is definitely doing better now. I also had a problem that the tranny would not come out of park sometimes. They said that they worked on that and repaired it but the service manager would not tell me what they did to fix it. It only happened every once in a while, so the jury is still out.

Mine does it too. Has been doing it since about 20k miles.. Took it in a few times for it and "cannot be duplicated" each time. Past 36k the other day, so I guess now they will be able to find it....

I am fairly certain that it has to do with the park-interlock with the brake pedal. Usually if you take your foot off and try again, it clears up...

Mine did that last week first time. Did it three times in one day. Doesn't appear to be a "bypass" where you stick your key in a slot to overrride it like a lot of other cars have.

Also noticed that the driver's side weatherstripping is worn through in a couple of areas.

'07 with 19,000 miles.

Ford is really making it hard to love their products. On the other hand, I don't know what other vehicle I would like better than the Trac.

List so far:

squealing brakes

pulsating/rough brakes

water leak at rear window

michelin tires worn out at 19K

headlight switch light burned out again

broken reset button by dealer replacing headlight switch

leaking front axle housing seal

worn-through weather stripping

leather upholstery wearing pretty badly

add transmission indicator sticking in Park

I had the same shifting problem. I was told that the problem was fluid leaking onto the wires in the shifter, shorting out the 'parking' part of the shifter. I wish I could remember where the leak was coming from, but they said they fixed the leak, and replaced the wires being effected.

I haven't had a problem since it was fixed (back around May '07).

Our '01 escape had the coming out of park problem, intermitently. Step on the brake second time and it was ok. Dealer said cannot duplicate. We just lived with it. So far the replacment '08 escape hasnt done it.

My 03 has been doing that intermittently since new. Ford could never duplicate when it was in for service. I find that just touching the brake, not stepping on it, allows transmission to come out of park almost every time.

I can't remember the tech term for the shifter sticking but I had the same problem. Took it in and told them. They replaced it no questions asked. Works great now.

I'll look for receipt and it back to you for the exact cause, if not I'll call them in the morning and post it for you.

Ok, here is what is says on my service report.

34828 Shifter sticking in park 071209A preformed TSB 07 23 2 071209A TSB 071209 8418 w40

Installed part # 7L2Z*7210*C Lever-Gear Shift

FC: P68 42

Part#: 7L2Z*7210*C

34828 Shifter Sticking in park 071209A Preformed TSB 07 23 2

Maybe some of you tech guys can decifer this. Other than the part, looks like they have had a TSB on this too.

I had an F-150 that would intermittently not come out of Park. I called the service adviser at the Ford dealer to I suck-up and asked about it. He told me that 95% of the time it is in the brake interlock circuit and to check the fuse and ensure the brake lights work. The lights worked intermittently. I looked under the dash at the brake light switch and couldn't see it, but wiggling the wires with the brake pedal pressed flashed the brake lights. Turned-out to be one of the wires going into the connector assembly was stressed fractured, but the insulation kept it in place, so teh problem was intermittent. I replaced the metal connector connecting it to a good part of the wire and all was well.

The real problem? The switch is mounted in an assembly that is connected to the brake pedal. The wiring harness is attached under the dash and the switch assembly moves causing the wire to fatigue. Dumb, dumb, dumb. My other cars have the switch connected to the firewall, so that the there is no movement in the wiring.

A1cntrler,

If the problem was complained about before 36,000 miles and documented by the dealer, it will be fixed under warranty.

Latest posts