07 V8 Transmission Line Leak at Radiator

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Loflin

Reaction score
I have a 2007 V8 with about 80k on it and i noticed some red fluid under it the other day - maybe a tablespoon worth. I started to dive in and noticed that BOTH the lines going into the radiator had drops of red fluid.

[Broken External Image]:

I researched some and some people say just to replace the lines, some say its the radiator, others remove the lines and some how just use hose to bridge the gap.

I wanted to take off the connector that was holding the pipe into the radiator and it seems that when i start to loosen it, anti-freeze starts coming out. It appears that the transmission line feeds into the inner cooler with transmission fluid and the outer radiator is for anti-freeze.

Good thing though is that the antifreeze was green and didn't seem to have mixed with my transmission fluid.

Also - I just looked and the transmission is labeled as 'X' which I found means '6R60' so I would need Motorcraft MERCON SP ATF (Ford: XT-6-QSP / MERCON SP)

My two questions:

How do I best top off my fluid in the transmission while I figure out how to fix this?

How do i fix this?

Good question on filling it. The trans shop I took my wife's car to had an Explorer up on the lift with the same 6 speed in it. I asked the guy how I could check the fluid in mine. He said "You don't. It is a sealed unit." That's as far as he would take it...

Interested to see how it is done. Maybe there is a fill plug on the side like on a manual trans?

There is a cap on the passenger

side of the trans case just above the pan. Remove the cap and you will find a short yellow dipstick. It is difficult to put fluid into but can be done. Watch out for the hot converter!

Last edited by a moderator:
To fill it you have tohave about 4' of 1/2" od tubing on a funnel. Recently did it on another members '07. We put a drain plug in the pan. Before putting it back on. No mess next time...

edit; your lines apear to have to use a release tool. Those hex fitings are holding the trans cooler in the rad tank. That why the anti-freeze came out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ends up this was a replacement radiator and the people who installed it didn't use the clips to secure the lower pipes and so they 'bored' out the opening which was why it was leaking.

was just going to post, my truck has plastic clips that hold this connection together... but you figured it out!

Latest posts