07 v8 XLT 4x4 Offroad capabilities

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Weber 2

Reaction score
would like to start this thread with the limitations...

Biggest derailer: CLEARANCE. low point on the IRS is 6.5 inches from level ground. got tired of waiting around in a drive through at taco bell and went over the curb to exit and heard some scraping....give me a f***&%$ break...

took a tour through a construction site and even though it was only dried mud/dirt, heard some scrapin'... and this was tame stuff...did see the traction control button light up, that is great, but, damn, need some clearance to keep from emptying its guts....

how big a tire can I get under there? current is 245/65

yeah that IRS is a killer off road. Straight axles are the way to go when it comes to off roading. A suspension lift for the 07 is a long way off, if it even ever occurs. However, a body lift should be possible and that would allow the use of much larger tires, and thus a higher ground clearance.

bpoche, EXACTLY, tires are the ONLY thing that give you ground clearance. I am not looking to make this an off road machine, but it should have some functional clearance for mediocre shit...

Hmmm...... No Issues with the stuff we did off road in CA....

Now some of it is flat, But by the end of the 2 days of the off roading, we beat the heck out of the up hill and down hill, and there were rocks and stuff, None of the trucks hit any thing with 4 people in them and I know Bryan and I, Paul went through the road nice and fast...

I think all our heads whacked the roof... LOL

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

I have to re-apply the front under body cowling...it came off when I backed up off an obstruction...new tires for sure

let's see one do this

[Broken External Image]:

or this

[Broken External Image]:

not an ST but my solid axle toyota

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
2 questions....

Bill are the pictures in your profile with the new tires?

Also from the factory are the 4x4's any higher than the 4x2? Cause i would like to increase my tire size but do not have the 4x4.

Thanks

Derrick

Latest posts