08-4-2 MAR 08 Engine - Cold Start Drive Belt Whistle/Hoot Noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My '04 did that. It was the alternator whistling, and it only happened for the first few minutes after startup, then only at certain RPMs. It had to be really, really cold (below 20 deg F) and once the vehicle warmed up the sound went away.

The dealer couldn't reproduce, and said even if they could they probably wouldn't fix it as it wasn't a safety issue and was only a minor, temporary annoyance at most a couple of times a year (which was true, but not the answer I was looking for).

TJR

My '01 ST has been doing this every winter for 108k miles now. The sound sometimes gets much louder at certain throttle positions while driving down the road until the engine warms up. Although it's alarming the first few times you hear it, I don't think it's anything to worry about.

I actually have this problem on my 08 v8 also. I keep thinking it's got something to do with my aftermarket intake. It has the slightest of whistles when first fired up but it goes away as it gets warmer. I kept thinking that the intake tube contracts when cold thus making it loose until it's warm and the plastic expands again.

Latest posts