'08 and '09 Differences

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 64847

Reaction score
Why does the '09 V8 get a little better mileage. I know it's minute but were there any changes? Also what differences are there between the '08's and 9's? It seems like they just sort of grouped some of the options together. Thanks, I'm hoping to make a decision and get one by the end of the month. Man it is hard to find an '09 XLT with a V8 and a Sun n Sync pkg. Thanks, Tim

Yeah, that's interesting. The 09's V8 city EPA is rated 15mpg over the V6's 14mpg. Because of lower drive ratio?

No one here in Plattsburgh has new STs on their lot. We went to Burlington last Saturday and checked out the mega huge Ford dealer there. Not a single Sport Trac or even a regular Explorer. They also didn't have any Expeditions. They had a ton of Fusions, Escapes, F150s and 09 + 2010 Mustangs.

Right now I'm getting 17.6 mpg city. Of course, I just filled up and I've been driving it like an old man. Usually it averages about 15-16 city by the end of the tank with normal driving.

When I get it on for a full tank of gas....the avg drops anywhere from 8-12 mpg.

The 2009's have a thicker rear sway bar......not that its gonna gert better MPG becasue of it. Just stating

Of course I'm not sure if it's all 2009's get the bigger one or just the V8's or just the STA's...