'10 4.0 Timing Chain Tensioner Install

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehof2012

Reaction score
Going to swap out the tensioners as preventative maintenance (94k) on my Sport Trac. Seeing mixed views on if the timing chain tensioners "need" to be primed prior to install.

Thoughts?

It sounds like it'll be easier to install them if they aren't full of oil and making more pressure as I push them in and install, but I also want them to work properly once installed... so... is it needed or not?

I would think that once the engine starts, the tensioners become full. That said, everyone says to fill them. When I have paid others to install them, I ask and they say they did fill with oil.
Ed

You can unplug the coil or fuel pump fuse. Turn the motor over and let the oil pressure build up..

I prime them full then press out 3/4 of the oil in the vice before install. Makes them easier to get threaded straight in the heads. Then precrank the engine with gas pedal to floor to refill them before starting engine.

PRIME THEM !!!!! put them in a cup of oil and pump till all the air is out....

I suggest going with Ford OEM tensioner. I used Autozone and the another brand and the rattle came back less then 5k miles on both. Someone on the site said don’t use non-OEM. Which I then installed and the motor sounds great 30k miles now.

I suggest going with Ford OEM tensioner. I used Autozone and the another brand and the rattle came back less then 5k miles on both. Someone on the site said don’t use non-OEM. Which I then installed and the motor sounds great 30k miles now.
Yeah I'm in the same boat. I purchased Rock Auto ones... they came in... "Made in China" right on the box :( I thought they were Cloyes branded and built in AR, but not the case. SO, I'm in the market for some OEM tensioners, hopefully @Todd Z is able to help but it's not an immediate "need" for me at this point, just preventative.

I don't dare put the Rock Auto ones in it, I don't have problems (yet.. knock on wood) nor do I want to start problems!

Search links for OEM parts+prices:
1997~2011 V6~4.0L~SOHC Left (with "TopHat") TimingTensioner xu2z-6k254-aa\6L2z-6k254-b\7u3z-6k254-b
1997~2011 V6~4.0L~SOHC Rght (wOut "TopHat") TimingTensioner xu3z-6k254-ba\6L2z-6k254-a\7u3z-6k254-a
1997~2011 V6~4.0L~SOHC Gasket\Seal\Washer for above Tensioners (2 required) xu2z-6m252-aa

2001.Ford.ExST_Engi.Tmng_Left.Tens_Ford.xu2z-6k254-aa_1of3.GIF
2001.Ford.ExST_Engi.Tmng_Rght.Tens_Ford.xu3z-6k254-ba_1of3.GIF

Click here for more info.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 20220506_150427.jpg
    20220506_150427.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 44
Are those tensioners only available from China? How often do you have to adjust them?
'hope they hold up well for you. It would save a lot of cranking to fill the hydraulic ones prior to start.

Are those tensioners only available from China? How often do you have to adjust them?
'hope they hold up well for you. It would save a lot of cranking to fill the hydraulic ones prior to start.
I will keep the thread posted on my success. 100% rattle at start is gone, but have a little rattle at 2400rpms like i had with the main chain a while back. I had been making my own "manual" tensioners by drilling out a rear tensioner and tapping it out with an adjuster bolt... keeping the spring and maybe hydraullics plus a hard stop with the bolt. Anyway, for under 40 bucks, these tensioners were probably a better setup. Yeah, i assume these are strictly chinese. I initially overadjusted it and it rattled more... backed it off... 90% reduction in rattle. I might be missing a chunk of plastic in there haha. Build quality of there tensioners is very good.

Im reading all the remarks on tendioners …I’m not so sure that is the problem….oil weight/ driven in cold weather/syn oil/vs reg oil..100 k plus
All are part of wearing out the plastic guides ..once the plastic on the guides
Worn…..tensioners are of little help….
Once engin is running after 5 seconds. Tensions are filled with oil and springs no longer being used….so give it a shot.. but once the guides are worn. It’s just a matter of time…to the death rattle

Hey guys sorry never got back on this one. Both front and back are installed now, didn't have any noise at start up to begin with, but just trying to be preventative. All is well, no leaks used oem parts! Not too tough honestly

Glad you got it !

Update. I cannot in good faith suggest that anyone install manual tensioners from a RAZR or whatever in your sport trac. Hahaha. I am now driving a 2013 Ridgeline :-( The 2300 RPM noise was the main chain (recently replaced tensioner blew up) and in the photo, you can see that basically everything got jammed up and the front jack shaft bolt broke and all Hell broke loose. I am not certain of the chain of events, no pun intended. But i had adjusted out those manual tensioners about 1/8in farther than the stock ones sit at rest, so those chains were very stretched. - I may have overstressed them by overtensioning them as well. Either way, please do like the fellahs above did and just take the time and money to replace the tensioners with OEM preemptively. :-(

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220904-205432_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220904-205432_Gallery.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220904-205438_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220904-205438_Gallery.jpg
    575.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220904-205541_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220904-205541_Gallery.jpg
    619.2 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts