1200 miles in 34 hours in the Trac-towing a car.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A1cntrler

Reaction score
I just got back from Hilliard OH yesterday afternoon. I was picking up another Thunderbird SC. The one I had originally has rusted through pretty bad, and the cost to get it repaired would be excessive. So the plans I had for it last December when I bought it (Sight unseen from CA) had been put on hold until I could find a suitable replacement..but it had to be a 5 speed and had to be a 1990 Anniversary edition T-bird... Found one minus the motor in OH, which was no problem since I have a new one on the engine stand in my garage. Now I have a good parts car for misc. items that are specefic the the 35th Anniversary Bird.

I left out of Chesapeake on Tuesday Morning at 5 am and headed West on 64 and picked up 77 to US 33 which took me right to Hilliard (Columbus pretty much) Nice ride through the mountains in that direction. I got there at about 4pm, loaded the car up (Of course it was raining while I loaded and chained it down) and headed back southeast. I stopped for the night in Athens OH, and got back on the road again at 5 am Wed. Got back home at 3pm Wed. The Trac towed nicely even with all that weight behind it. I did not use my X-Cal towing tune because I couldn't stomach putting in 93 octane everywhere. I did use the 87 Perf. tune though, which is pretty much standard issue in it every day. I got 15mpg on the ride up with an empty trailer, and about 12 loaded coming back. I set the cruise at 65 and it had no difficulty holding it, even on the 7% grades (8 mile length on some of them according the the truck warning signs) and the trailer brakes got quite a workout going down the same grades when loaded. RPMs held at about the 3-4k range on the hills and flats (With O/D off the whole way up and back of course)

While I was loading the car, the guy I bought it from (Works at a AAA auto center as a mechanic) was telling me I shouldn't be pulling it with the Trac because it can't handle it (I pretty much did all the loading myself..The guy I bought it from stood in the storage unit and came out into the rain to set the parking brake so I could move the come-along back to a new point. That was the extent...oh-he did ball up the excess nylon car tie downs I used in the front and shove it in the wheel well) His friends showed up and asked me if I had to go up any hills on the way home, because they doubted I would make it in my little truck (I could see if I showed up in a little Mazda or Nissan mini truck, but this is a '07 Trac with big chrome V8 badges on the fender...) I even had a guy at a gas station ask me what direction I was going when I was in OH.. I told him East, and he said "You know there are some mountains that way, right???"

Anyways had a good time, but frustrated by all the haters about the ability of the Trac. Only saw about 5 Gen 1 Tracs on the trip (A nice Mandarin gold one got on the highway in western VA along side me, it was a old blue-haired lady in the Trac and seemed oblivious to the world around her) I saw a lot of Ridgelines though..not a single Avalanche the whole trip...

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. For those that don't have an 07' but say they are problems because of the postings they read, read the above again.

Thanks. Now that I know you went to (wherever) and back, I'll be at full ease towing my son's 900 HP GT to the track.

GREAT POST!!!

Good write up and glad you had a Safe trip. I don't know what they were trippin about, I mean gosh, the car didn't even have a motor in it. You should have seen some of the faces this past Saturday when I was pulling my bike clubs 24 ft. enclosed Haulmark trailer with my 07 V8 Trac. Looked pretty sweet and pulled it well.

The image quality is horrific because the wife had been tinkering with the cam settings and the lens was dirty but you get the idea....

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

I am a die hard T-bird fan. Are you planning to do anything special with your bird or are you trying to keep it as a collectors item?

The plan with the original on was to restore it. I had an '89 SC years ago but it was my only mode of transport and it was too expensive to keep it on the road and be reliable (especially for a 19 year old...) Now I am older, wiser and richer and can afford it lol. I will be keeping it as stock as possible. I will be lowering the car down about 1 1/2 inches, but that is about the extent of modifications. The motor will be bone stock (already freshly rebuilt on the stand in my garage) and thsi car will live in the garage except for weekend drives and cruises with the local Supercoupe Club here.... This one from OH was recently restored (Before the previous owner). The wheels on it are pristine, which is hard to come by on a 35th. They were powdercoated the right way...no bumps or runs, and the lips on them are flawless. no curb rash. He even went as far as putting the OE Goodyear tires on them (With almost 100% trad life on them still). The guy I bought it from put about 4 different motors in it and about 500 miles on it according the the title. He had at one time 4 35th anniversary SC's (2 of which he turned into racecars (Auto-x). This one was headed on that routh..the restored interior (which on the 35th had grey suede leather inserts) is now extremely dirty. Looks like he laid on the ground in the dirt working on the car and climbed right into the seats mud and all. Doesn't look like it is stained, just extremely dirty.. I need to find out what I can use to clean the suede leather on them...

You should have seen some of the faces this past Saturday when I was pulling my bike clubs 24 ft. enclosed Haulmark trailer with my 07 V8 Trac

A guy in the Sc club here had a 24 ft enclosed trailer and would not let me borrow it for the trip because I had a Sport Trac and it would be too much... I took his word for it and found the trailer I used....

That is quite a rig you have there.... I thought I was long on the highway. Towing a load like that makes you really think about where you are going... You can't just see a sign for food on the highway (or gas even) and just go... Gotta have enough room, you know?? I limited myself to rest area food since they have Semi parking.. I did have to manuver around in a small lot to get gas though in OH.. Only one station open and no room to pull around and turn with the car on it Had to do a "3 point" with the trailer on there, and back it through the pumps to get my gas...and then I still had to give then 3.05 a gallon. :eek: Guess when you are the only game in town, you charge it and get it....

I will admit, a 24ft enclosed with a car might be a bit much. Our trailer weighs in at 4500lbs empty, so you throw a car in there and you approach the 7000lb limit real quick, not to mention the additional wind resistance from the height and width of the trailer. I only tow ours to local events with the Trac and only haul about 4 bikes @ about 400lb/bike. Most of the guys are usually riding anyway and we take the trailer for show:D As far as gas stops, it's definitely truck stops ONLY with our rig.

Sounds good! I really liked the look of those Birds. Well I liked almost every generation of T-bird minus the early 80's. Still wish they hadn't discontinued them temporarily and allowed the Mustangs to be the titled the longest running model car ford has made... But oh well. You have some good lookin rides there and good luck with installin the engines. If u ever take em for a drive toward the newport news/williamsburg area let me know. Would love to take a look and it would give me an excuse to pull mine out of the garage also.

It is amazing how little respect the trac gets some time. I used to work as a special inspector, and I was the lead on an airport job. My partner and I made 20 concrete beams for testing. When his 'Almighty Chevy' broke down at the airport, it was up to my 'poor little trac' to transport these beams back the the lab around 20 miles away. After loading the 65 - 85 lb beams into the back, off we went. Imagine his amazement when the little V6 with over 100K miles didn't even flicnh at the over 1500 lbs going up hills, and merging with freeway traffic. Even the boys back in the lab, who are all Ford folks, were surprised that the 'little trac' was able to do such a good job. Respect!

If you take care of your trac, your trac will take care of you! I am now on my second, and will get a third, and a fourth, for as long as they make em!

Great write up. Funny, there are MTNs in Ohio?...LOL Sorry, couldn't resist since I've lived 20+ years in the Sierra Mtns/Cascade Mtns.

I do get the same response when towing the race car in our FJ.

i towed everything my wife and i owned from flagstaff AZ to salt lake UT in a gen 1 trac, wish i would have gotten a picture the trailer was full to say the least, the only problem i had was the gas mileage. normally on the freeway i get at least 20 with that trailer i was getting around 11.

Latest posts