14 update

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark little

Reaction score
I think my mirracle mileage ST is no more. I havent updated my account, but I bought a new 05 XLT Premium about a year after I bought the 2004. My mileage on the 05 went from about 25 on the highway to 18 mpg. I had another dealer look at problem areas, tried fuel from different gas stations, and I always have been easy on the pedal, but I stll love the ST! Besides, I only have 31,000 on it and new tires, what else do I need?

Winter mix gas will cause a drop in MPG.......

As for what you need,,, Do you mean for maintenance ?? because I am sure we can spend your money for you on things you "need"..... LOL :lol::lol:

Todd Z

Todd,

I feel that the question is: How much money does Mark have to spend?

My recommendations:

Clean your Mass Air Flow Sensor with CRC Electrical cleaner; clean the Idle Air Control motor; make sure you have a clean air filter (see below); clean the Throttle Body (see below) too.

1. SCT XCalibrator III

2. An cold air intake

3. Throttle body from ZabTek

Oops we're almost up to $1k :eek:

4. A single-in / duel-out cat-back exhaust :banana:

Has the fuel filter been changed since you have owned it. Todd is right, the winter blend, will cause a drop in miledge, Plus keep in mind if you run your heater some that can also contribute to the drop.

Plus keep in mind if you run your heater some that can also contribute to the drop.

This might sound like a stupid question, but how exactly does running the heater cause MPG to drop? If you're running just the heater and not heater/defrost combo or strictly defrost, then the A/C compressor won't engage, thus there's no more load on the engine than if you're just running the fan in the "Vent" position.

Running just heat is simply a matter of allowing coolant to flow through the heater core and having the fan blow across the coil.