$144 Dealership transmission flush- good deal?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Piroth

Reaction score
Got some coupons in the mail from Ford. One of them is for a $144 transmission flush. I'm only at 42K, but the '01 4X4 is 5 years old now and I figure I should get it done.

I've got to take the Trac back in for the cruise control sensor replacement this month anyway, is this a fair price to pay to have the tranny done at the same time?

For $144, I'd say go get it done. I had gotten a coupon once from FORD for $189 for the transmission flush and I thought it was a good deal. Made my appointment on a Saturday. When I came back to pay for the work done, the guy working the counter for the day only charged me $162. He said he was a Subaru Manager and wasn't sure what the price was for Ford and charged me what he would charge for a Subaru. So I say for that deal, take it.

Are you set at getting it done at the dealership? if not then take it to somewhere like goodyear. We charge $90. and Im sure firestone also charges the same.

Boodro

Last edited by a moderator:
Just be careful with the chain places, MAKE sure they will use GENUINE MercV fluid, and not some additive junk....

OR get the fluid at ford and then go for it, BUT at $4.00 a qt it will be the same any way...

For that price, let the dealer do it...

Todd Z

If you have not ever had the transmission fluid flushed or changed...Then you are way-way overdue !! Get it done ASAP.

As fpr tje $144? I get mine done for $85 at my local Kwik-Kar lube center and that's the normal price including the extra charge for Mercon-V (it's more expensive). The Dealer will charge a higher price than most other shops but you will get genuine Mercon-V fluid.

I like the Kwik-Kar center because they guarantee their work, they use a 100% synthetic fluid that is Mercon-V compatible made by Penzoil. I have had both of my Sport Trac's transmissions flushed there and the transmission have ran flawlessly. My 2001 was flushed at about 32K miles and I immediately noticed a big improvement in the quickness and crispness of the shift....even acceleration off the line was noticably improved. I had my 2003 Sport Trac flushed at about 21K miles, and I will have it done again at about 40K miles if I don't sell it buy then?

The Mercon-V used by Ford is a semi-synthetic and is fine, but I live in Texas and the Synthetics tolerate the heat down here much better.

Anyway, you could shop around for a better price. Usually the places that charge more, will want to put in cleaning fluids before the flush and then they put in other additives that are not needed and just jack-up the price. I recommend that you go with a simple flush with Synthetic Mercon-V and no other additives.

PS: Most places will not allow you to bring in your own fluid. They usually have ties with lubricant suppliers and they will not warranty their work if they use your fluid...Even if you have the best stuff in the world, or bought if from Ford.

....Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides warranty work, a tranny flush is the only work I let the dealership do. I think it has been running me $130 to let them do it. I've tried the quick lube places two times, but each time they screwed up something. One cross threaded my oil pan bolt and the other cut a tranny cooler line while doing the tranny (still don't know how they did it). I'm sure there are some decent places out there, but I just can't bring myself to use them anymore.

The Ford Service coupons I have list a tranny flush for $99.95. Maybe they're only good for my dealer, I dunno.

What about if you dont know the whole service history on your ST? I bought my 01 4X4 in May, and it had 89K on it. It now has 99K. I have already changed the transfer case fluid, Plugs, etc.. but not the tranny fluid. I have a mechanic friend that said if it had never been done 75K, it could be worse in the long run to do it now, than to leave it alone. This guy is a really good friend, that worked at a Ford dealership for many years before the dealership closed, and never steared me wrong before, but I guess I cant see how it could be worse..

. Anyone ever heard of this? Any thoughts? THANKS. Dave

I've heard of it many times, but I think its mostly an old wive's tale. The only reasoning I can see is if the detergents in the new fluid caused some built up sludge to loosen and clog up some passages or valves.

I had mine done at a local ford dealership last year and I think I paid $140. Thought at the time that was kinda outrageous but from the sounds of it wasn't bad after all.

Sludge is a by-product of combustion and the Transmission fluid is not exposed to combusion gasses so it does not build up sludge..

Transmission fluid becomes dirty with particles worn from the friction material on the internal clutches and bands. These products contaminate the fluid and make it dark and muddy colored. Heat can and often is the major cause of fluid damage. Heat can destroy the fluid and cause it to form varnish deposits which can cause some valves and check balls in the valve body to stick.

The detergents in fresh transmission fluid will not loosen or remove fluid that has been burnt and created varnish deposits.

If a transmission failed shortly after a fluid flush, then the transmission was going to die anyway and it had nothing to do with the fluid flush. Or, it is possible that they put the wrong type of fluid in the transmission which caused the failure...That can be tested and if the wrong fluid was used, the shop could be sued in small claims court for the cost of the transmission repairs and the testing of the fluid.

That is one of the problems that mechanics have to face nearly everyday. Someone thinks their transmission is acting up and they get the fluid flushed. The flush cannot repair the problem, so the customer blames the shop that did the flush for their transmission problems.

Yes, there are ships that I would not trust to put the valve caps back on my tires after checking the pressure, let alone even getting the pressure rignt. That's why it's a good idea to check with your friends and guys you work with as to who is a reputable mechanic. This is not likely to be the guy who works out of his backyard garage and hangs drywall during the day. To work on todays vehilces requires a lot of training, experience and special tools and test equipment otherwise the guy is just guessing and changing you for the parts while he's learning.

Any mechanic or ship that advises against a transmission flush does so only because they don't have the money to buy the expensive, single-task machine. And yes, it is normal for the ships with the transmission flush machines to charge more for a flush than a conventional fluid change because they need to pay for the machine within a relatively short time. There are far less return problems when the flush machine is used than the conventional fluid change since they don't remove the pan, they cannot be blamed for transmission pan gasket leaks.

One of the biggest reasons why people don't like the flush is because it does not change the transmission filter. If you flush your transmission regularly, the filter will easily last over 100K miles. Also, the filter in the transmission does not function the same way the an engine oil filter, or air filter.

Oil and air filters use many layers or thinknesses of filter material to trap and hold contaminates. A transmission filter is a thin flat filter used to block larger particales of contaminates from getting pumped back through the trasmission. It is not desinged to trap and hold particles. When the engine is shut off the transmission pump stops and the material trapped by the filter will fall harnlessly to the bottom of the pan where it will be attracted to the magnet and will stick there until the pan is removed. As long as it's sticking to the magnet it's not suspended in the fluid. Any particles that get past the fliter are too small to cause damage to the transmission.

If your tranmission is slipping, it is generating excessive heat. That damages the fluid and causes more wear of the friction material which leads to more slipping and more heat. If your tranmsission is slipping, you need to have it checked out before the clutches and bands are damaged beyond repair and the transmisison must be rebuilt.

Some debris in the bottom of the transmission pan is normal. How much is normal wear? It depends on the transmissi

JohnnyO, any chance you can scan in that coupon and post it? If I print it out, maybe I can get my dealership to price match it.

RichardL, thanks for all the knowledge, but I think I may stick to the dealership on this one. Last time I had "minor" work done at a smaller place here they gave me 1 wrong tire, charged me for a coolant flush they never actually did (had to go back and make them do it a few days later) and took 4 hours longer than they estimated to do it.

Instead of a tranny flush, what is wrong with this technique?

Drop the tranny pan add a drain plug and new filter. Refill with fluid. I know that this changes oly about 25% of the fluid. Each year or a specified amount of mileage, drain the tranny pan and refill. If you do this periodically the tranny will have mostly new fluid all the time.