180 degree Thermostat ???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Z

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Any one ever install one in the st ???

I have used them in all my other cars and with me getting close to 60K I was thinking about it for the ST.

I havent asked the tuners if I need a special Xcal tune for it...

Thoughts ?????

Thanks

Todd Z

Todd.

As you know, these newer vehicles us the thermostat for more than just cooling the engine.

By changing the OEM temp, it will afect the fuel injection as well as the evaporation point within the condensor of the AC system. If the point changes too much it will low liquid into the comprssor, thus destrying the compressor.

I would think a tune would help with the injection but not the potential AC issue.

The SOHC was designed to run at 190(I believe). By changing to a 180 the trac will constantly be trying to raise the temp in effect burning more fuel and running oddly. This was the info I got when I was looking into this a couple of years ago and decided against doing it.

From my experiance with the Ford EEC. It was a good perfrmance trick with EEC4 and OBDI. Doesnt work very well with EEC5 and OBDII.

99.9% guarentee, you will need a tune change. On todays modern engines, there is no advantage to a lower temp thermostat. I know on my car, if I ran down the track with a cold engine, it was 1/2 second slower than if I kept it hot.

Tom

I emailed the tuners asking about the tune.....

I know the ST makes more power on the dyno when fully warmed up, I was just thinking along the lines of the idling and the hard driving I do.... ;);) :lol:

Todd Z

All a 180* does is let the coolant start flowing at 180*. If your engine is going to run naturally at say, 195*-200* in traffic or whatever, then a 180* isn't going to make any difference.

Well there is no need for a tune, But I think i will leave it be, the truck is running cooler with the electric fan any way....

Thanks

Todd Z