19.8MPG 08 STA V8 AWD & Snow Storm.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey Frennier

Reaction score
So on the way to Lowville, NY from PLattsburgh, NY we encountered an insane snow storm. I was constantly slowing down and speeding up. My avg speed was about 35 on the way there and 50 on the return. All due to insane weather. We're talking 6+ inches of snow on the road and maybe 3 feet of visibility!

With, K&N intake, Magnaflow exhaust and the 87 performance tune from Torrie I ended up averaging 18.6mpg on the way there (drove 15min in city) and 19.8mpg on the way back, right into my driveway.

I've actually gotten better. When we went to Middleton, NY I was avging over 23mpg highway.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was excellent. It was my first time driving it in poor weather. It's reaction time was nearly instant and, at times, it felt like it was on rails. The braking was way way better than my 05 F150. This I already knew from a close encounter with some idiot drivers in Middleton over the summer.

I was very nervous at first so we pulled over and I messed around in a parking lot to get the feel for the truck. After that I had no issues.

I hated how the show built up on the running boards and in the wheel wells though.

Overall, I'm exceptionally pleased with my STA. I consider it the best vehicle I've ever had and I'm proud as hell to drive it.

I can sense your enthusiasm and am glad you're happy with your purchase! :)

I would love to have one, and maybe I will someday.

Also happy you had an uneventful trip and got there and back safely. :cool:

Drove it in the snow?

My Pop tucked his in for the winter. The municipality uses a mix of salt and cinders, and I've educated him well on how cinders destroy your paint (like driving on a gravel road). :)

pffff, I'm driving this thing in any weather upstate NY can throw at me.

It would be different if it was an actual SVT 390HP supercharged vehicle but it isn't. As far as residual value is concerned, the STA is really just another ST. The Adrenalin package doesn't really add that much to the residual.

I don't get it. Was the SVT Contour so different? I didn't think it was anything special. Why they would call that SVT and not the production Adrenalin is kinda weird.

Magnaflow exhaust and the 87 performance tune from Torrie I ended up averaging 18.6mpg on the way there (drove 15min in city) and 19.8mpg on the way back, right into my driveway.

I've actually gotten better. When we went to Middleton, NY I was avging over 23mpg highway.

Are you saying that due to torries 87 performance tuning that the above stated MPG's are correct???

I don't get it. Was the SVT Contour so different? I didn't think it was anything special. Why they would call that SVT and not the production Adrenalin is kinda weird.

Actually, the SVT team did in fact work there performance magic on the SVT Contour, and it had much more power and better handling capabililties than a stock Contour.

Drivetrain Differences

The SVT Contour has many high-performance improvements to produce more power and withstand harder driving than the normal Contour models.

These changes include:

* Changes to the camshaft include a longer duration and a complete change in valve timing points.

* Higher compression: 10:to1(SVT) vs 9.7(normal)

* Powertrain Control Module (PCM) was more aggressively tuned and required premium fuel.

* Larger throttle body (60 mm vs 54 mm). Lifted from the 3.0L Duratec.

* Intake manifold and primary intake ports smoothed by ExtudeHone.

* SVT-Clutch.

* A water to oil, oil cooler to keep control of oil temperatures during performance driving.

* A radiator with a thicker core for better cooling(lifted from Saudi models).

* Different air filter and intake (cone style using same air filter as V6 Mustang).

* A lighter flywheel(from 21lbs to 19lbs.)

* A larger-diameter, quasi-dual exhaust.

These changes allowed the SVT Duratec to make 200hp at 6600rpm and 169lb-ft at 5500rpm. The rev-limiter was also raised to 6750rpm from 6500rpm.

Suspension and Brakes

Cars built on or before January 27, 1998 had the first 5-spoke wheel style with Goodyear GSC tires. Beginning on February 14, Ford switched to the Cobra style 16-in. wheel and Eagle F1 tires. Beginning with 1999MY, September 1, 1998, Ford then kept the same Cobra style wheel and switched to the BF Goodrich KDW tires. The SVT Contour had four wheel disc brakes instead of the standard disc/drum configuration. The independent rear disc brake suspension is also used in the 1999-2002 Mercury Cougar.

* Front rotors were enlarged to 278mm vs the 260mm stockers.

* Stiffer shock tuning.

* Smaller front swaybar (down to 19mm).

* 16-in. five spoke wheels (1998MY)

* 16-in. SVT Cobra-style wheels (1998.5 to 2000MY)

* Goodyear Eagle GS-C tires, size 205/55ZR16 (1998MY)

* Goodyear Eagle F1-GS tires, size 205/55ZR16 (1998.5MY)

* BFGoodrich g-Force KDW tires, size 215/50ZR16 (1999 to 2000MY).

* Lightweight axles

Ah. Yeah. I used the average mpg display.

I don't know if the mods are what gave me the better economy. My truck had about 300 miles on it when I modded it out so I've got no baseline mpg to compare with.

In 100% city driving I get between 12 and 14mpg now. I've become much more spirited in my driving habbits though! It seems that I have less Adaptive learning issues when I drive it a little bit harder.

Before the tune I got almost the same city economy but I babied it. I mean...she never saw over 1500rpms...ever. It drove Amanda CRAZY.

I'd say my mpg improved with the tune.

Last edited by a moderator:
Snow in Lowville? :blink:

Actually my kids and ex-wife lived in Watertown until recently. Been there many times.