1ST Check Engine Light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin

Reaction score
Was driving down the fwy today and my "check engine" light came on. Was about 5 min from my dealership and stopped in to have them check it out.

They said it was the fuel cap sensor.........I have one of those locking caps on there and never had an issue with it till today. Anyway, they reset the error without removing my cap and it hasn't come back on since.

The service advisor said that if I get the error again, take this cap off and put the OEM one back on and the error should clear on it's own after so many miles.

My question is this right, does the condition clear itself after changing the cap??

Thanks

Thanks,

Any ideas of what may have caused it to trip? I know the cap is on good and tight. It tripped about the time I was doin about 85 on the fwy.

The cap might be leaking. If it's not a solid vapor lock, it'll eventually trigger a CEL.

K....thanks, I'll check the seal on the cap....

Not really worried about someone stealing my gas as I am of some jerk putting some crap into my tank. This has been a prob where I work, there have been reports of someone going around and putting stuff in the employee's tanks at work.

Also clean the gasket and the filler neck,,,

Todd Z

Thx for the tips.....

Just didn't want to have to put the orig one back on and take a chance should that jerk come back around and put something into my tank.