2-3 Flare Advice

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woppy V

Reaction score
I was having the 2-3 flare every so often and was hoping that a performance tune would resolve the problem. It hasn't. I am still getting it (especially when I tow) and I don't want this to destroy my tranny especially since I will only have liable insurnace now. What further steps can I take to resolve this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have the tuner adjust the tranny more, Lower the clutch slip times in third, and lower the converter lock up time...

Also the EPC adjustment would be good...

When was the last service ???

Todd Z

I Echo what Todd said !

Take care,

Mr. Torrie R. McPhail - (Owner)

http://www.fastpartsnetwork.com

http://www.UnleashedTuning.com

SCT Custom Calibrator

New Dyno facility now open

5105 Philips Hwy, Suite 1

Jacksonville, FL 32207

(904) 733-0550

I am shooting from the hip here but I believe I had a flush done 13,000 miles ago when I hit 50,000. Currently I am at 63,000. I just read up on the EPC adjustment and esh... that doesnt look like a fun sunday... :angry: But you believe that a more refined tune would eliminate these every so often mishaps?

Doing flushes is great, BUT the filter should be changed.... the flush does not clean or flush the filter.... So you should drop the pan, replace the filter and do the EPC at one shot... Replace the 4.5 qts of fluid and go !!!!!

Todd Z

I changed the tranny filter in my ST @ ~36K miles. It wasn't scary dirty, but it definitely needed to be changed.

Todd Z,

I have to disagree about changing the transmission filter. If you flush the transmission every 25K miles you should not have to change the filter except every 100K miles.

The filter is only a strainer to keep harmfull chunks of debris from getting pumpted through the transmission. The fluid will darken with use and the filtering does not remove or eliminate it from turning brown or burning. That is caused by heat mostly from slipping clutches.

Adjusting the line pressure is good before the slipping occurs. After the slipping starts, it's only a temporary fix sinve the problem causing the flare is in the valvebody. That may be OK to get you to your next vehicle but if you are towing after you adjusted the pressure because of the 2-3 flare, you are only buying yourself a little more time...It will be back and probably much worse.

My recommendation would be to replace the valvebody and the solenoids, but not with Ford parts. There are a number of performance tranmssion companies that make improved valvebodies the eliminate the problem including the leaking valvebody gasket.

...Rich

Rich your welcome to do so,

But I will NEVER let any of my tranny's go more than 30K on the filter, and the ST filter is a filter, it is a paper material, it will trap Small and large particals...

IF it was a screen like the Honda, Nissan and some other cars (like a screen on a window) then I completely agree.....

Todd Z

I don't know, but when I changed mine out, it looked to be made the same way as any other tranny filter I've changed. Looked like paper filtration. There was also a bunch of sediment at the bottom of the pan (from the magnet) that definately needed cleaned out.;)

Todd,

Yes,, the filter is a paper filter but that does not mean it traps and holds dirt/debris. It only blocks the larger, harmfull particles from being circulated through the transmission. When the engine is shut off, the particles fall off the filter to the bottom of the pan where the metalic particles are trapped by the magnet. Even the non-metalic particles are larger and heavier and will sink to the bottom of the pan. The vast majority of those particles remain in the bottom of the pan.

An engine oil filter has about 10 or 20 times the filtering surface as transmission filters because it must filter out combustion byproducts and trap and hold them in the filter. The transmission filter, by design does not, and could not possibly trap and hold the debris from the clutches, etc in the transmission. If it did, you would have to change that skimpy filter every 500-1000 miles.

While the filter element may be a paper based filter, but it is not designed to trap and hold particles like an oil or air filter. I use the term "Screen" to clarify how the filter works, is not to say that it looks like "window screen". Filtering is just a matter of blocking certain particles from passing through that exceed the size of the filters openings. The main difference is that the transmission filter is not designed to trap and hold the particles that it blocks, and it makes no difference what the filter is made.

Any transmission with more than a few thousand miles will have debris in the bottom of the pan. Slick transmission shop owners will use this trick to convince people who come in for a routine fluid change that their transmission is about to fail. The difference is the amount of debris for the mileage and the size and texture are more significant indicators. If there is a lot of debris in the transmission pan, but the transmission is running and shifting fine, you are probably being setup for a large repair bill.

If you change or flush the fluid regularly, it's just about impossible for your filter to clog and cause a transmission failure. You are more likely to have an unrelated catastrophic failure that immediately dumps a ton of debris into the pan that can overwhelm the filter, but the clogged filter was caused by the failure not the other way around.

Don't get me wrong. I don't object to anyone changing the transmission filter. I just don't agree that the filter will clog and cause a failure or shif flare, and if you are having your transmission flushed, changing the filter is unnecessary.

On the other hand, If you are dropping the pan to change the fluid, or to make EPC adjustments etc, then by all means, change the filter while you have the pan off.

...Rich

I just cant see leaving that junk in there....

I agree flushing is great, but leaving any particles on the magnet or on the filter is simply a no no in my book...

also how does a particle in the pic below get sucked into the inlet hole, and then fall down into the pan?? back through that little hole that is completely submerged in fluid ???

it gets trapped by the plastic and stays in the filter... Flushing will not remove that....

The filter below is 25K miles, IF you rubbed your finger in the hole it had small metallic particles and other particles on it.....

We will always disagree on this, no big deal...

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

I have had the tranny flushed on my wife's Taurus every 30k or sooner since new. Couple months ago I took it to my friend's tranny shop at 75k for a new filter and refill since biz was slow and he needed some work. Filter and innards looked like new. I'll still get it flushed at 90k. Tauruses are known for weak transmissions.