2-3 flare symptoms?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Piroth

Reaction score
There's a ton of info on here about the dreaded 2-3 flare, but can anyone give me a simple list of symptoms to look for when it's in its early stages? Does it throw a code early on, kick right in as a major problem or is it something more subtle that creeps up on you?

It throws no codes. The severity varies. Early on it should start with a small hesitation between the two gears until it is a really bad slipping between them.

For me, it came on really fast, but if I remember right all i had replaced was a solinoid?????? It was under warrantee still... How many here just had the solinoid replaced opposed to a rebuild????

Any sounds that accompany it?

I ask because I haven't noticed any slipping or hesitation, but there does seem to be an audible, though not severe, sound that starts near the top of second gear, then stops abruptly when it kicks into third.

It sort of sounds like something's grinding or straining, but since it only happens when I'm moving I'm having a hard time telling exactly where it's coming from.

My 03 developed some gear slipping however, I had the dealer flush the trans and the slipping/flare went away. I've put probably 2000 miles since the flush and shifts pretty good. However if you have not had the trans fluid changed, I'd recommend it. I change the trans every 22,000 miles or some where in between.

I would describe it has a trans hang. the RPM will drop or jump before the gear changes. If you have it get it looked at ASAP.

Latest posts