2,500 miles since Last Wed. in my '07

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A1cntrler

Reaction score
Just returned from a trip to Northern Michigan with the family. We went up for my grandfathers 80th birthday. We left on Wed. afternoon, stayed the night in Breezewood PA, and from there drove to Jackson, MI to stay with a relative, and from there to Gaylord, MI. While there we went to Mackinac Island for a day and drove across the Mackinac Bridge just to do it. Then turned back south on Monday, stayed in Youngstown, OH with a relative, and Tuesday back to Chesapeake, VA.

Got between 19-20 mpg in the '07 Limited 4x4. I also was running an 87 performance tune from my Xcal tuned by Doug at BamaChips. Averaged about 70mph for most of the trip (Except in PA where they are proud to be 55mph still, and in MI where speedlimit is 70, but you had better be doing 80-90 or you are in the way). The wife and 4 year old held up remarkably well. The wife drove a total of about 100 yards when she went out to get the ST while I waited to pay for some stuff at Wal Mart. It seems that whenever we travel, we always end up at a Wal Mart for junk we forgot...

Having owned an '01 ST and an '07 and making the same trip in both, I can definately say that the '07 is a much better cruiser. The smooth ride and quiet interior made me feel much less fatigued in the '07. I love driving, so this trip was great for me.

We will be home for a week and a half, and then loading back up and driving to Orlando to take our son to Disney for a week... Gonna rack up the miles on the ST this month. Got her last August and just rolled over 18k in it already.

I didn't like paying $2.89 a gallon for gas here, but the price stayed the same until about Toledo OH where the price jumped to $3.19 a gallon, and then in MI everywhere it was $3.25 everywhere I looked. $2.89 seems like a bargin now...

Having the navigation on trips like these are awesome as well. I have the AVIC-Z1 in it. XM radio was also great with only a few short dropouts in the mountains in PA. The navigation is pretty good, but could be better. If I ever do it again I will not buy a Pioneer navigation system. We found it is great to use if you are not familiar with the area. It will get you there (If the address is stored, we seem to get a lot of "This address does not exist, would you like to go anyways"? This is for hotels and the like that have been there awhile) If you know the way to get there and like to use it for only a time estimate it sucks. For example as we got closer to our destination, it wanted us to take some strange directions. It would say we are 25 miles from our destination. I would bypass a turn that it wanted us to take because I know there is another way to go, and then it would recalculate the route and then say I only had 15 miles to go. It makes me wonder what kind of routes I run in an unfamiliar area. In the long run though it does get us there. It is also nice to search for food when we are ready to eat. Just doa vicinity search and set it in as a waypoint on the fly. There are a ton more restaurants than are shown on the blue signs along the highway..

Cool........ Sounds like a nice trip!!!....

I may know a couple ways to raise that MPG...... ;);)

Todd Z

I have had my eye on that TB there Todd...Just waiting on the finances to fall just right for a month...

As for coming back to Hampton Roads.. My wife made a true comment. She had absolutely no issues with the mannerisims of other drivers until we arrived back southeast of Richmond... It seems that every other state we traveled through the drivers understood the concept of drive on the right, pass on the left. Once we hit VA again, drivers seem to love to pace each other clogging all two or three lanes. In other states if you are overtaking someone that is passing in the left lane, thet tend to pop the gas pedal to make thier pass complete so you don't need to brake. This system seems to work great about everywhere. What is the deal with around here?? Everytime we leave my wife says how much she likes everywhere else but here because of the traffic. Where else can you find a traffic jam at 2 in the afternoon one day, and none the next?? Traffic is so unpredictable around here on 64/264/664.... I'm sure there are traffic problem almost everywhere in the country. Just need to know where to go/not to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdy neighbor! I love road trips. Wife bout fell out of my 04 when she saw an 07 the other day. C'mon down to NE NC we don't have that traffic. HWY 168 is only bad June-August. I hate driving in Chesapeake Va Beach...

I go down 168 once in a while. I go to Moyock to the CarQuest down there everytime I need to get a set of tires mounted/balanced. No waiting down there (try to get it done up here and it is usually "You can leave it here and we will see if we get to it today" type attitude). I enjoy that drive. I have even found an unpopulated Home Depot (Right near Edinburgh) in Chesapeake that actually has friendly employees and always a unpopulated checkout line.. There are a few remaining places around here that are good, but few and far between..

A1cntrler,

i have 12,000 on my 07 lmtd 4X4 V-8 in just 3 months !

on 2 round tripers to our house in the sunshine state, i feel the same about the 07. the ride and comfort was much superior than my 02 and 04 that i have had. the rear dvd was great for my son and the factory nav worked great when we were avoiding traffic delays on I-95.

even the wife was happy with the ride and comfort.

as far as driving habits, florida wins hand down ! they don't get the concept, left lane for passing only !

it's so true once you get into the carolina's and south, if your not doing 90 mph , your screwed ! oops, i was comming out of the harbour tunnel into maryland doing 78mph ( 50 mph is the speed limit ) and a state trooper was standing right in the middle of the 2 lanes with the radar gun on me ! after he pointed me over to the other 3 cars they " bagged " , i was able to get out of the ticket due to my line of employment. a minor inconvience :p

Last edited by a moderator:
A1cntrler,

What roads were you on in PA? All the interstates have a 65 mph limit.

You said you have the Xcal2 from Bamachips. Did you have any issues with the cruise control not picking up the throttle after coasting down any long grades?

The PA Turnpike. Some zones were even down to 40 mph... I noticed the speed limit signs when crossing over from OH and also when getting on at Breezewood. I alsways make the comment that they are 55 and proud of it....

Now that you mention it, the cruise control was acting kind of screwy, but not having used it before too much, thought it was normal. If I had it set at 70, coasted down and started back up the hill, I would feel like I was goign slow, look down and it would be reducing speed down to 60 or so, then it would pick back up and hold 70 up the next hill. I never thought it could have been because of the tune.

Coming back home we went down 79 to 68 for a change of scenery. A lot hillier then the turnpike...

I'm not sure myself if it is the tune but I don't recall having the same problem on the few road trips I made before installing the Xcal2. I will be heading back to PA on I-80 tomorrow night. Maybe I will return it to the stock tune to see if it acts any different. I did mention this to Doug but I have not heard from him since he said he would ask SCT about it. At least you eliminated the possibility of it being caused by Todd's TB. ;)

I would like to know the results of your experiment. It was rather annoying and quite noticable, but having not used it much before, especially in hilly terrain I just assumed it was normal operation.

Latest posts