2 unrelated questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob Dryer

Reaction score
Today I rotated the tires on the trac and was doing some visual inspection of all the goodies under there before we make our trip up to Michigan from Virginia for the holidays.

I found two things that I'm not sure about. First on the front passanger side I'm missing a bump stop, the drivers side has one. At least thats what I assume it is, it's a small rubber peice and on the one side I could see it had hit the (I don't know the right name for most parts so sorry for the wierdness) part that moves up and down that the hub and brakes and all are attached to, it might be the spindle? Anyways is that a big deal? Should I buy one and replace the rubber stop?

Second I've noticed a SLIGHT brake pedal viberation but only every once and a while. So while the wheels were off on the front I rotated the rotors and on both sides could feel a slight variance in the motion. Does that mean that both my rotors are warped? (mildly)

If they are warped what damage is that doing if any? The pads are fairly thick still so I don't think I need pads, but I know if I replace rotors then I should do pads at the same time, but if warped rotors isn't going to cause any damage then I'll most likely leave it for a while.

Thanks for the input guys.

Yes replace the bump stop. It with keep you from bottoming out the shock..If the rotors were warped, you would feel the vib, all the time. You might have some slight glazing on the pads or rotors...

Jacob,

The vibration is it in the steering wheel or the brake pedal it self ???

IF in the steering wheel it is the Front rotors, IF in the brake pedal it is the rear drums are out of round...

Either one will over a long time cause some un even wear on the pads and/or the caliper pins, But nothing that you have to worry about right now. IF it gets worse, then consider a parts change....

As far as the bump stop, I would replace it, IT is there to stop the suspension parts from moving past their designed range of motion.....

Are there bolt holes there for one, OR is there a metal bracket there that looks like the rubber fell off it. ??

Todd Z

The vibration is only in the pedal. Once it starts happening EVERY time I stop then I should consider replacing all the parts but for now it don't worry about it?

I didn't look real close at the bump stop, but I will replace it, I can't imagine it is expensive.

Since the vibration is in the pedal I would replace the rear drums once it is time for rears, I would not worry about it.....

The bump stop cant be that expensive...

There is a member in the swap and sell selling all 4 ......

Todd Z