2 wheel drive

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drive mine (which is a 4x4, but I rarely use the 4x4) up here in Michigan, and I love the way it handles. I think I actually use the 4x4 only a few times a winter. I do have the limited slip diff, which is a nice help in the winter, taking off from stop lights.

Brett

I have a 2wd w/ trac-loc rear, too... I out 5 bags of tube sand in the rear, and good winter tread tires, and i'm good to go..

I drive a 4x2 in the winter, through all of New Hampshire and trips to upstate NY through Vermont. And when I say upstate I mean you-can-pee-on-Canada-from-here upstate. I have studded snow tires and I put 3 bags of sand in the back. Open diff and no issues.

I have a 4x2. I have snow tires for it and have no issues.

No weight in the back either.

Tom

p.s. that truck above is a Chevy. :rolleyes:

After recovering from that pic with several adult beverages, I can say that 2 wheel drive will do well. As others have mentioned, a little more weight in the rear(oh, no, not another pic! :D ), will be a big help.

I just got back from a week in the Upper Peninsula of MI, and I was on many 2-tracks that had a bit more mud than I like. Although I have a 4x4, the only time I really needed or used it was when I came around a sweeping left curve into a sand pit! Oh Crap! Had a REAL sinking feeling!:eek: Needed 4x4 AND digging AND blocking to get out. Now I have the reason to get a winch though!:D

Really... 4x2 will get you through a lot more than you think.

Caymen said:
I have a 4x2. I have snow tires for it and have no issues.

No weight in the back either.

You forgot to mention that you have a Powertrax differential. ;)

Since I live where it snows AND is very hilly, I can testify that here a 4x2 truck in winter is as useless as a screen door in a submarine. My ex-wife's dad lives in Upstate NY where they get 10' of snow, has mostly owned 4x2 trucks, but it's pretty flat there and he doesn't have much trouble getting around.

My .02 based on experience:

1. Good snow tires like Blizzaks, or BFG or Pro Comp A/T tires.

2. Limited-slip differential.

3. Weight, but don't overdo it because it's that much more you have to haul up a hill. No more that 200 lb. IMHO. Tracs are a little better balanced front-to-rear than say, a Ranger.