2001 Sport Trac Job 1 Engine - Need help with Heater Control Valve and hose

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Brothers

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
4 wheel drive
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Hi people! I think the heater hose that goes from my water pump to the heater control valve is leaking. It looks like it is at the connection to the water pump. The leak started yesterday, and we were lucky to see it dripping before we drove away. Need some advise and assurance to get me through this. The heater control valve on this truck is under the alternator, next to the water pump. Hard to see it, but I think it is a "two port" valve, and I think it would be a Motorcraft YG364 based on my searches. The hose from the water pump to the valve might be Motorcraft KH582. I figure that when I am replacing the 23 year old hose, that the control valve is going to break on me, so I am planning on replacing it too.

What is the easiest way to get to these parts? From below or above and what parts do I need to remove to get there? All the videos I have found online cover heater control valves located near the firewall, next to the heater core, yet this one is located next to the water pump.

Dillard, I have seen your threads suggesting the metal replacement valve (Four Seasons #74603). I am considering this solution. Since it has a 90 degree configuration on the input and output ports, it would definitely need to be moved to a different location. Not sure how you did it, but could you run bulk 5/8" heater hose from the water pump up to a convenient location for the valve, and then another 5/8" heater hose to the heater core fitting? Correct ID size? I would be bypassing the metal pipes that Ford puts here and there. Must be a purpose for these pipes, but I don't know.

Thanks,

Steve

...hose that goes from my water pump to the heater control valve is leaking
...heater control valve on this truck is under the alternator, next to the water pump..."two port" valve...Motorcraft YG364
...hose from the water pump to the valve might be Motorcraft KH582
...figure that when I am replacing the 23 year old hose, that the control valve is going to break...planning on replacing
...easiest way to get to these parts?
...Dillard, I have seen your threads...metal replacement valve (Four Seasons #74603)...considering this solution
...90 degree configuration on the input and output...need to be moved to a different location
...Not sure how you did it...5/8" heater hose from the water pump up to a convenient location for the valve
...another 5/8" heater hose to the heater core fitting?...bypassing the metal pipes
Steve you're spot on how to do this !!
I located the 90degMetal HeaterValve higher & to the rear, closer to FireWall,
one end connected via a short 5/8"Hose to the HeaterCore,
other end pointed down with a longer piece of hose running to the WaterPump.
Route+secure these hoses away from the ExhaustManifold or other hot\moving parts.
Be sure to reroute\reconnect the VacControl line to the new metal HeaterValve.
Easiest access to old JunkPlastic HeaterValve is from below &\or removing right wheel & inner liner.
Yep, delete the over-engineered metal pipes along with the JunkPlastic HeaterValve.
Not sure if 2001Job1 Engines were fitted with a 5/16"PCVWarmingLoop like the 2001Job2 Engines?
If you have this PCVWarmingLoop, recommend deleting it also; as it does not work & is only a potential leaker.

Last edited:

Latest posts