2001 Sport Trac Misfire, Number 1 Cylinder

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are the OBD2 TroubleCode numbers?
1st thing to try, Carb\Throttle cleaner down the gullet.
2nd thing, remove & clean MAF Sensor with electric spray.
3rd thing, take ThrottleBody & IACValve off & clean.
4th thing, pull #1 wire, electrical spray & inspect for nicks\cracks, re-install with di-electric on boots\porcelan not metal contacts.
5th thing, take coilpack out, electric spray & inspect for nicks\cracks, check ohms.
Primary should read 0.4~0.6ohm across pin4 to pin1\2\3, 0.7~0.9ohm across 2 coils pin1~2\pin1~3\pin2~3, open to frame all pins.
Secondary should be 12~14kohm across each socket pair, open to frame all sockets.
6th thing, how old are your plugs+wires? If >75k Miles, they're suspect, replace & gap to 0i052~0i056.
7th thing, how old are your O2 sensors? If >75k Miles, they're suspect.
8th thing, any hissing vacuum leaks or obviously cracked vacumm hoses.
9th thing, recently cleaned\inspected\replaced the PCV valve & hoses?
10th thing, could be a bad\dirty injector?
Hope this helps.
D

PS: Details of my adventures maintaining a 2001 Ford ExST at
http://2001fordexplorersporttrac.fandom.com/2001_Ford_Explorer_Sport_Trac_Wiki

Last edited:
what are you basing your "Good" parts on ??

Sorry, "good parts" meaning recently replaced with new ones. plugs and plug
4th thing, pull #1 wire, electrical spray & inspect for nicks\cracks, re-install with di-electric on boots\porcelan not metal contacts.
5th thing, take coilpack out, electric spray & inspect for nicks\cracks, check ohms.
Primary should read 0.4~0.6ohm across pin4 to pin1\2\3, 0.7~0.9ohm across 2 coils pin1~2\pin1~3\pin2~3, open to frame all pins.
Secondary should be 12~14kohm across each socket pair, open to frame all sockets.
6th thing, how old are your plugs+wires? If >75k Miles, they're suspect, replace & gap to 0i052~0i056.
Hope this helps.
D

Hope this helps.
D

wires.

Thanks for all the TS tips.

...recently replaced with new...
If new part(s) just installed & new problem(s) pop up; prime suspect is the new part(s) or something nearby\related that got damaged during that work.

Yup, Like plugs, people crack them all the time and the wires they think they are pushed and clipped on and all they di was push the connecter further in the wore boot.... See it all the time..

Also check for corrosion inside the DI coil, on the missfire cylinder. My #3 misfired. it was corrosion on the aluminum. where the plug wire pluged in. I used a dremel tool with a straight brush and contact cleaner.

Troubleshot found the #1 cylinder fuel injector was bad. Had to pull the top portion of the intake manifold to access the fuel rail; wasn't too bad. But the new injector was hard to find. O'Reillys had one. Removed and replaced; ops cked good.

Glad you got it...but I would have replaced all 6 injectors since you were in there but you have to do what you have to do..... Glad its back on the road.

Glad you got it...but I would have replaced all 6 injectors since you were in there but you have to do what you have to do..... Glad its back on the road.
I was going to replace them all, but there was only ONE injector to be had within 100 miles of my house and I needed the truck running sooner rather than later. At least now I know how to do the job.

Good to hear it.
You must have a gen2 v6 trac. Mine is the gen1 2004. My upper intake dons't overlap the injectors. I don't know why ford, went back to that type of intake. It makes some repairs an xtra pita.

Latest posts