2001 ST, Motor died today

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Meyers

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Good evening, my 2001 Sport Trac died today and wondering if I have any options when putting in another motor ?. Can I put a newer model 4 liter motor in, or for smog purpose will I need another 2001 model engine. I really like the truck other than that shoebox of a bed. What do you think my options are.

Technically, you can replace your
2001 V6~4.0L~SOHC Engin lower block+heads (short block) with any other V6~4.0L~SOHC;
you'll just need to remove any different top end fittings from old block & install onto replacement block.
If installing a used block, common sense says to pick a newer 2002~2012 block with fewer miles.
I'd at least renew all TimingComponents+OilSeals & upgrade OilPump before installing a used replacement.
So far as what Californica requires is a whole different question; consult your legal advisor on that one.
Do CA inspectors check\compare\confirm engine block serial numbers?
Your old 2001 Block possibly has a BalanceShaft, which was not put into later V6~4.0L~SOHC Engines,
& is not required, so don't worry about that difference.

Last edited:
Jim, what kind of mileage did I have before the engine failed? And if I could ask, was it the timing chain that (you think), or some other “grinding to a halt” mechanism. Thanks, Randy

If I had a OHC 4.0L go sour, I'd consider replacing it with the pushrod version. My son pulled a 4.0L out of an Aerostar and built up the engine with new forged pistons, aftermarket cam and heads and JB headers. Then dumped it in his Bronco II. I think it has more power than my 4.6 L V-8. He did rework the rocker arms with stainless steel cups and block off the arm's oil galley to force oil to the push rod top. Very strong engine and has lasted for 20+ years and still going strong.

If I had a OHC 4.0L go sour, I'd consider replacing it with the pushrod version. My son pulled a 4.0L out of an Aerostar and built up the engine with new forged pistons, aftermarket cam and heads and JB headers. Then dumped it in his Bronco II. I think it has more power than my 4.6 L V-8. He did rework the rocker arms with stainless steel cups and block off the arm's oil galley to force oil to the push rod top. Very strong engine and has lasted for 20+ years and still going strong.
I had been wondering if that could be done.

I think the 4.0L OHV “X” is a much better engine. Comp Cams used to make a cam for it.

I think my son did use a Comp Cam. The heads were from World Products. They were cast iron, but seemed to flow well. I just checked their catalog and they are only producing Chevy & SB Ford V-8 heads now. It's a shame, that little Cologne engine was a good one. I think it started out as a 2.6L. The OHC version are good too, just a shame they drove one cam from the back of the engine. Then there was the chain tensioner issue. I liked the 60 deg V configuration. Made it easy to work on.

New block is fine, you need to re use your intake and stuff, so no one would know the difference.

Guy in Spring Hill Fla….above tampa
Rebuilts engine upper half… has to take engine out… or you can can take it out … same money….$1400. I have had 3 engines done….very good work
That’s all he does 4.0 ohc
Eddie. 352. 340 6208.
Just a option
My number. 407 516 5133. Chris

Latest posts