Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skippy

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2001 Sport Trac, 2WD with 209,000 miles on it for $1,500.
-What sold me on it:
.I’ve had the Explorer XLT for 12 years that has only had one mechanical issue.
.The ST was a Florida truck for the majority of the years.
.Body, under the hood and interior all in excellent to good condition with exception of the center arm rest.
.Recent new, Michelin tires to include the spare.
.Recent new, exhaust system & radiator.
.Fuel pump replaced.
.Brakes adequate amount of mileage until they need to be replaced.

Negatives -
.Intermittent issues with transmission not engaging in reverse. (Owner has paperwork for a transmission rebuild 30k miles prior - translation my “assumption” was it might be an inexpensive fix). Reality is it wouldn’t go into reverse once I purchased it and transmission either needs to rebuilt (or) one highly recommended transmission shop said it might not be as serious or expensive fix.

.A/C blowing out hot air, I thought it might be a recharge issue, as owner didn’t appear to have any sensible mechanical knowledge. (Reality is there is a leak in the system. I’ve purchased 134a w/dye & need to fill system to test & locate leak.)
.Rough acceleration, hesitation and at first seemed as if 2nd & 3rd gear weren’t easily engaging. (Reality - a very easy immediate fix with replacement of the air filter. Truck runs smooth now and no issues what-so-ever.

ONCE HOME -
.Added transmission fluid, as the level was low.
.Discovered the new radiator needed to be replaced, as the internal transmission cooling was leaking into the radiator.
RADIATOR has been replaced, as well as thermostat housing, thermostat and hose that had bulged out.
.Mechanic pointed out that the radiator and fan housing shroud is missing.

Note-
Retired dealership mechanic does all of my mechanical work (doesn’t normally replace fluids & can not rebuild a transmission, as not his area of expertise.)
Not pleased that he didn’t flush the cooling system to attempt to remove transmission oil.
Flushing cooling system and radiator core is now on my list of to-do repairs.
.Brake fluid needs to be bled.

I just purchased a 2003, 2DR, 4WD, Explorer Sport, that is running for superficial parts to use on both the 2001 Sport Trac & 2006 Explorer XLT, SUV. Cost $450.

.Removing the:
.front, chrome, full brush bar to use on the 2001 Sport Trac.
.radiator & fan shroud for the ST.
.potentially remove ac compressor, if that is leaking on the ST.

SWAP-
.the 2003 Sport SUV, has higher quality newer tires & full spare. I’m planning on swapping with the 2006 XLT SUV, if they are the proper size/fit.

Bed Extender-
.Recently purchased used
1U5A-19g299-aa aluminum extender for $50.
.Issue is that it is about 1” too narrow to fit the bed extender fittings in the bed. I believe former owner might have compressed the bars when he couldn’t get it to fit the Ford Ranger.
.Need to figure out how to expand width of the bar ends so pin length properly sits in the mounting holes.

lol - Yes, it sounds like a simple used Sport Trac purchase snow balled.

Looking forward to reading through relative posts and any advice that others can offer.

97D586A8-D16E-4D95-96F5-030726B82822.jpeg

Latest posts