2002 ST PCV question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim OLeary

Reaction score
Trying to learn about PCV valves, throttle bodies, air filters, IAC, & MAF.

I used to just tell the shop that I needed a tune-up, but they keep the vehicle several days, and besides, I can use the money I save for other car stuff.

So there is oil in the air filter canister, so I guess the PVC is clogged.
My PCV is on the rear of the driver-side valve cover, it's a right angle thing with a hose attached that wraps around the back of the engine then comes up the other side and connects to where there is another hose near the front passenger side (on I guess the intake manifold?).

So I twist the right angle 'thing' 1/4 counterclockwise and pull it out of the valve cover, and unclamp the other end of the hose, then get another PCV valve and hook it up? There do not seem to be any electrical connection on it.

Once the air filter and PCV are squared away, I'll address the other three things, maybe they need to be cleaned. I got a pair of cans of special CRC cleaners already.
Tips, warnings and other resources would be welcomed.
TIA

Not sure what you're calling the "Air Filter Canister"; a pic?
But yeh should replace PCVValve at least every 33kMiles\4~5years, if not more often.
Careful removing\installing PCVValve, 1/4Turn; plastic tabs in ValveCover are notorious for breaking off.
Inspect that 5/8"PCV Vac Hose+Tube assembly; those rubber elbows are notorious for cracking+leaking
& causing p0172+p0174 TroubleCodes; can replace them with 5/8"ID CoolantHoseElbows that last longer.

The 5/8"Hose connection on right side of IntakeManifoldThroat is on the
miniature PCVHeatExchanger with two 5/16"CoolantHoses also connected;
part of the PCVCoolantLoop.

2001.Ford.ExST_Engi.AirN_PCVc.Valv_Ford.ev268.JPG

2001.Ford.ExST_Engi.AirN_PCVm.Hose_Ford.kcv190_Orig.JPG

2001.Ford.ExST_Engi.AirN_PCVf.Xchg_Ford.ev256_Olda.GIF

I was referring to the air filter box. I took some images and my pvc valve looks like the one in your post. So please what is the correct on for the pcv?
I think my hose is OK. It twists off the valve cover but I might snap off plastic tabs inside the valve cover?
there is still the throttle body and the other thing which I need to inspect and clean. The engine has been idling better lately, only my fuel economy is down about 2 mpg.
Thanks for the info!

Attachments

• 20220208_134359.jpg
    20220208_134359.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 20220208134900.jpg
    20220208134900.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20220208134958.jpg
    20220208134958.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 48
TYPO supposed to have been "So please what is the correct part number for the PCV valve"?
PCVValve is
FordMotorCraft# aj0313890b \ yf1z6a666aa \ ev243
Using ChannelLockPliers, just a gentle 1/4Turn to remove\install, so not to break the ValveCover tabs.

Ok, the AirFilterBox; yep it tends to collect trash & rodent nests!
How long since the Plugs+Wires+OxSensors were renewed?
Past 100kMiles\older they will definitely effect MPGs.

Latest posts