2003 Sport Trac Adrenalin XLT 4x4, 206k miles, broken timing chain for $1,000. Worth it?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imapotato

Reaction score
The guy says the 4x4 transmission works fine, no accidents, and two owners. Leather interior looks clean. Exterior has expected dings for a 17 year old car. I want to pull the engine, replace the chains, and do the timing. Then change the fluids, filters, and spark plugs. This is a long/slow project while waiting for my lease to run out. I'm not a mechanic but I believe I've researched enough to finish it over a couple weekends.
Is it worth it to buy this and turn it into a daily driver? Driving 10,000 to 12,000 miles a year. I'm not sure on any maintenance done yet or whats been replaced. Ultimately i'm trying to make a calculated gamble.

Much depends on your mechanical skills\patience, pocket book, & how much you like this truck?
Minimum you'll likely spend $1500+ in new parts:
~ All Timing Components
~ Oil Pump, Pressure Sensor
~ Tools, Engine Lift
~ Gaskets, Filters, Fluids
~ Plugs+Wires+Coil, O2 Sensors
~ Coolant ThermoStat+Housing+Hoses+HeaterControlValve
Possibly another $1000+ to replace any\all of these:
~ MAFSensor, ThrottlePosSensor, IACValve, DPFESensor, EGRValve, PCVValve
~ Coolant Pump+Radiator
~ Fuel Pump+Filter
~ CatConvertors
~ RearLeafSprings, Other Suspension Items, Brakes, Tires
~ TransferCase ShiftMotor+ControlModule
Possibly another $500+ for
~ Transmission ValveBodyRebuildKit +ATF +Filter

All above assumes both Engine+Tranny are in working\servicable\repairable condition
& that you do the work yourself; if either has to be replaced, add another $1000~$2000.
So purchase+license cost, plus $1500~$5000 to get truck in reliable DailyDriver shape
depending on issues found; critical that you've high confidence\skills\patience, finances,
garage space & time for this work over several weeks\months.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Just buy a low millage engine and swap it out. Replace what is needed just rebuilt a 2003 4x4 manual including brakes, exhaust, clutch, rear diff, tires, and leather seat covers for about 3k. Priced a new on lately?

$3,000 to $5,000 over two years will be okay to me. I figure an engine hoist, mount, gaskets, and timing kit will cost roughly $600. Fluids, filters, and gaskets a couple hundred more. All in, get it running for under $1,000. Replace the plugs, wires, and recharge the a/c for another $500. I'm hoping for the low end to make it a daily driver. We should be making a decision this weekend.

Keep us updated.

Did something very similar two years ago when I got mine. I've put 30k miles on it since then. Besides some maintenance items, it's needed no large repairs. I paid almost double that, put 1200 in the engine, it's been a good little truck.

It looks like the OP has moved on, but it's worth more just in parts. If everything is in good shape, especially if it's a southeastern car (no rust or corrosion), it is worth more than $1,000. Granted, it's not a quick buck. You have to remove the parts and ship them. This is laborious, but when you consider the front and rear bumpers are worth more than $1k and then add in all the other bits and bobs, it probably worth at least three or four times the asking price.

...or you can put a new motor in it, and renew the suspension, and daily drive it. All of it doesn't factor in the value of your labor. But parting out a car or truck is a great way to learn how to build a car or truck, so there is some educational value in it. I've learned a lot just by taking things apart.

https://www.cashcarsbuyer.com/break..., tires, and rims,few bucks at the scrapyard.
At the end of the day, these trucks are rebuildable, and yes, it sucks to occasionally have to roll up your sleeves and work on it, but when you consider the price some people are paying for cars and trucks today, it's pennies on the dollars for the same utility.

Latest posts