2003 XLT wont start first attempt

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, once again hoping to get some advice on my 2003 XLT, 133,000 miles.
At first it was very infrequent but now its just about every time.... when it was infrequent it might take several times to start but now when going to start it it turns over but wont start once. Second attempt and mashing the gas pedal (dont know if that helps or not) it fires right up.

Anyone run into this? Fuel pump or whatever problem? Not wanting to get stuck somewhere if what ever is going on fails completely

Thanks for any input!

Bill

Mashing the pedal will hurt....that puts the truck into clear flood mode and shuts off the fuel pump.
Have to try a few things.
1 Hold the throttle 1/4 ONLY down and see if it starts right up - YES ?? Dirty throttle body and stuck IAC motor, both easy to fix. ( Clean TB and replace IAC)
NO???

Turn the key to run, ( Second position) NOT start, then back to off, then back to run, NOT start, then back off then try to start (NOT touching the pedal) Start ?? YES?? Dirty or clogged fuel filter or weak or failing fuel pump. NO ? Maybe tune up time, plugs, wires, ect.. Dirty MAF.....

Just got mine back from the dealer after repairs. One of the issues was similar to yours, from a Cold start.

They explained that the fuel pump pressure was dropping from its' normal 60 PSI to less than 30, due to leakage within the body of the pump itself. The fuel pump was replaced (parts cost of over $400), and now it starts every time.

This is actually the second replacement fuel pump (third total for the truck). About 3 years ago I had to have the Original one replaced at 120,000, due to fuel leakage at the seal between the gas tank and fuel pump. Dealer rep explained that they tend to fail around 60-80K, so if we are getting over 100k on the original units, we are doing just fine.

Latest posts