2004 4x2 XLS

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Kaye

1st gen V6 4x2
Supporting Member
1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 wheel drive
Reaction score
147 000 miles so far June 2021
bought at 96 000 in 2017

stock everything except for a 2nd-hand Century topper. Still have the tonneau cover and bed extender. The extender is handy for hauling yard waste, mattresses and other furniture, etc etc. What a great little truck.

known fixes so far:
- rebuilt diff, shop did this for previous owner
- front ABS sensor and sensor ring was damaged when the front rotor shield/brake backing plate rusted out and gravel got in there, replaced both sensors and shield and one front rotor
- fuel pressure sensor went bad, replaced
- radiator leak, replaced
- original shocks finally quit, replacements are so much better I wish I hadn't waited
- new plugs and wires at 100k

transmission fluid changed at 75k, will do at 150k and every 50k after that
regular oil changes at 5k in past, now switched to synthetic at 10k

Road tripping, somewhere in Wyoming

pond2.jpg

Gros Ventre creek,

gros2.jpg

in convoy up to MT,

travelin.jpg

somewhere in MT with 80mph speed limit, hit 90 a couple of times and the good old truck was perfectly stable and happy, unlike the driver

montana.jpg

slept in the back once at elk camp, didn't feel like pitching a tent in the mess of snow and ice. The foot of the sleeping bag iced over completely into a hard shell. Think I need to rig a tarp, next time.

camp2.jpg

Last edited:
nice truck and yea i have slept in back of mine and with topper door up and a tarp worked great and the tie downs for the bed worked awesome for bungies. there was some major winds in the gorge so tents would not work and wind rocked me like a baby all night long, putting tarp over shell was hell doing solo.

Latest posts