2004 Sport Trac No crank No start

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey y’all I’m having problems. Sport trac has been running fine but went to start the other day and didn’t turn over.
I can hear the starter solenoid ticking and can feel it click when the key is turned. Batter reads 12v and I’ve checked all the fuses. I attempted starting it this morning and it cranked over no problem, then again at lunchtime, but when I was leaving home from lunch the same problem occurred. Any suggestions? I’ve seen other forum posts with this issue saying it wasn’t the starter but that’s my last guess. Thanks guys.

How old is Batt; likely needs replacing if >5yo?
2004+Later SportTracs have HybridElectronicControl\HEC thats overly sensitive to low\bad Batt conditions.
Use a known good VoltMeter on Batt terminals:
~ before starting should be >12.5v, if not Batt is low & possibly bad.
~ after starting should be ~14.5v then settle to ~13.5v as engine warms; if not either Alternator or Batt is bad.

Last edited:
Just 12 is low, cold kills battery. our busiest time at jci was fall, we make auto batteries..you should be in the low 13 with a good battery, try boosting it or does it start with a jump, if does not start with a jump right away i would spray some starting fluid in it, yes ya have to take air filter housing off, a simple screw, but eliminates the fuel supply if issue.

Just 12 is low, cold kills battery. our busiest time at jci was fall, we make auto batteries..you should be in the low 13 with a good battery, try boosting it or does it start with a jump, if does not start with a jump right away i would spray some starting fluid in it, yes ya have to take air filter housing off, a simple screw, but eliminates the fuel supply if issue.
I tried jumping it with a car and a secondary power box I had to no avail. And I don’t think fuel is the problem is it straight up won’t turn over at all right? The starter isn’t even moving.

Battery is probably pretty old. I’ll replace it first anyway and see how that goes.
How old is Batt; likely needs replacing if >5yo?
2004+Later SportTracs have HybridElectronicControl\HEC thats overly sensitive to low\bad Batt conditions.
Use a known good VoltMeter on Batt terminals:
~ before starting should be >12.5v, if not Batt is low & possibly bad.
~ after starting should be ~14.5v then settle to ~13.5v as engine warms; if not either Alternator or Batt is bad.
Batt voltage without starter relay is a little above 12v. With key turned to start, it drops to 11.5v.

Yep, sounds like a new batt is needed.

Ended up replacing the starter and haven’t seen the problem since. FYI for others searching the forums with this problem in the future, if you have a 4WD the front drive shaft is in the worst possible place. Remove the counterweight for more room and you may have to push the engine up on the mounts to actually pull the starter out from the engine bay

Latest posts