2004 Sport Trac VSS (vehicle speed sensor) location?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Tomkiel

Reaction score
Hi All,

Ford really made this complicated. I'm looking to install a Avic-D1 nav system and can't find the VSS. It's not behind the instrument cluster nor the radio harness. I have the basic stereo.

I also read it's located at the PCM, but where's the PCM??

Thanks,

Mark

Well I think I found it in another forum and thought I'd share:

02-05 Ranger / Explorer / Sportrac

At EEC on Passengers Firewall area. 104 pin plug,

Pin #68 wire color GRAY/BLACK

Pulse: 8,000 Already set

(if nothing in #68 try #58, if those two are empty, its #28)

Optional location on some models

VSS: at factory cruise plug

10 pin plug at passenger fender, near Blower motor

3rd pin GRAY/BLACK wire

Also to those that are mechanically challenged the EEC is under the hood on the passenger side, at the very top of the firewall. It's 1 104 pin plug secured by a bolt that easily comes off.

In my plug, pin #68 & 58 are vacant so I'll try 28.

-Mark

Alright, I'm going mad. It's not #28. I checked with my multimeter and all I get is a constant 12V. A digital speed signal should fluctuate between 0V and 5-12V while the vehicle is in motion.

Any suggestions in finding another VSS source???

You need to get a wiring diagram for the ECM. That will get you the exact wire you need.

Tom

I will have to find my repair CD's. I might be able to find the information there. I misplaced the CD's, but I will look for them.

Tom

i not sure about the d1 but the n1 i had worked perfact and i never hook the speed sensor wire up. the shop i bought it from said they never hook them it

Just searched "VSS" found this for another 2004.......

ALSO most vehicles the sensor voltage is 0-5v

It is located at Pin 68 at the PCM Computer...its a gray wire with black tracer.....

Todd Z

Thanks Todd. But on this Sport Trac. Pin 68 is vacant, along with 58. I also read 28 was a possibility, but that didn't work(constant 12V signal). I also checked each pin behind the gauge cluster w/ a multimeter and couldn't find it. And I even looked at the radio harness plug for the gray/black cable to no avail. The stock radio does not have speed sensitive volume.

I'm still at a loss. :wacko:

Gavin, A digital signal fluctuates (off/on) In the case of the 3 other cars I installed nav units the speedometer signal would fluctuate between 0 and another constant positive value (5-12V) while the vehicle is in motion.

Mark, You also can find it at the ABS module, In one of the posts I found while searching it mentioned that it was there but hard to get to...

Good luck

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
The VSS is also located right in the back of the transmission, you could tap right in there too...

Todd Z

I ordered a Ford service DVD off of ebay and went through it's diagrams. I found the connection at the windshield wiper motor. gray/black stripe. Seems that the sport trac has speed sensing interval wipers... wipers move faster at higher speeds and slower at lower. This requires a VSS.

IMO, tapping into the 8 pin windshield wiper connector is much easier and probably safer than going to the 104 pin PCM.

Thanks all!

-Mark