2004 ST project - 181k “K” engine rehab

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Third time is a charm! After 23 phone calls, two engines pulled but problems found (no good) and almost 60 days later the used engine arrived. Installing this weekend, save your “K” engines as I’m tearing the old one down this month for rebuild. I ❤️ Ford Blue!!

Before and after pics, I’ve got a great mechanic!!

Attachments

• 4EEA66FD-C4B8-40F1-881A-C928D24AE163.jpeg
    4EEA66FD-C4B8-40F1-881A-C928D24AE163.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 3E806EBD-3C2F-4B0A-9E9D-24383CA7486B.jpeg
    3E806EBD-3C2F-4B0A-9E9D-24383CA7486B.jpeg
    163.5 KB · Views: 43
Glad your getting back in business....

OK experts I love the truck, runs nice, blue tooth stereo, road manners are perfect and leather. ONLY ISSUE is it's been back to my engine guy once (and going back again) as after 200 miles rear main seal starts to leak. Replaced under warranty and got back last week. Was dry for 7 days and then BOOM today I have oil spots again in the driveway and coming from between the block and the trans.

Has anyone had two seals go bad in such a short amount of time? Could there be something else? No shimmy, knock, rattles, etc. it runs perfect. This will be the third seal being switched (1 at rebuild out of truck, second when pulled the tranny to access) and now the 3rd.

Any other suggestions I could be missing?

Got a guy in Spring Hill fla above Tampa that rebuilds 4.0 ohc motors only
And installs. 900 rebuild /1600 install
Had 4 motors r/r in 4 trucks
Great so far
On Craigslist
Works out of backyard
Spanish speaking a extra

Are you sure its that, not a valve cover, PCV line, or oil filler adaptor ???

OK experts I love the truck, runs nice, blue tooth stereo, road manners are perfect and leather. ONLY ISSUE is it's been back to my engine guy once (and going back again) as after 200 miles rear main seal starts to leak. Replaced under warranty and got back last week. Was dry for 7 days and then BOOM today I have oil spots again in the driveway and coming from between the block and the trans.

Has anyone had two seals go bad in such a short amount of time? Could there be something else? No shimmy, knock, rattles, etc. it runs perfect. This will be the third seal being switched (1 at rebuild out of truck, second when pulled the tranny to access) and now the 3rd.

Any other suggestions I could be missing?
The front tensioner can leak and it finds its way through the valley down the back of the block over the tranny bell housing and could mimic a rear main seal. I suppose the rear tensioner could also leak and run down the block and drip near the rear main seal. Also, as Todd Z noted, the PCV connector on the back side of the drivers valve cover could work itself loose and oil could come out that hole on hills.

Last edited: